Lawn reno. no permission

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Aug 25, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

well i have another pleased out of town customer. I went ahead and did an over seed and lawn reseed. I saw it need it and just got the account like a month ago. wll to put a long story short, the guy pulled in and said" oh im so glad you did that. Send me a bill." i had the bill with me and he paid me in cash right there.
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You took a chance and got very lucky, congratulations, but be cautious, it doesn't always happen that way.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Like Rustic says, you got lucky.

Always be clear on what work your doing for your customer and provide a price before doing the work when applicable.

Wouldn't want you to post a thread that "Homey did not want to pay".........;)
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your messing with peoples property without permission. What made you think to do that? Have you done this type of thing before?
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

definitely not a wise move. maybe he liked his nasty looking lawn. i often wonder what people actually see when they look at something, and how come we dont see the same thing. a customer wanted to put in 40 yds of topsoil in his back yard, have it graded, and seeded. i advised againt spring seeding, for obvious reasons. he did it anyway. lawn is now nothing but clover, crabgrass, and nutsedge. i told him, "see, i told you u should have waited." he got a bit annoyed with this, saying he loved the way it looks. unbelievable. anyhow, never ever do something like you did without permission. you will get burned.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear this worked out for you. I would never do any work without a signed contact. You could have ended up holding the bag on getting your money.

7. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

never in a million years.
  8. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Here's an important question. How big was the yard and how much did you charge him? I am assuming you did not do a complete renovation and whatever you did, you must not have charged very much. I find it hard to believe that you have been in business for 5 years and you do something like this without getting permission first. Just my thoughts though.
  9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What I understand from reading the 'chefs' postings and his comments therein are that it's a stretch for him to say he's been in business for 5 years. Maybe doing 2 or 3 yards until just the past few months. Then he started asking questions about 'how to' 'how much' and I believe saying he was fairly new at this, and admitting he wasn't licensed. :rolleyes:

I've never checked his profile until today, think the 'chef' might have stood next to the grill for too long when he reported his length of business.

Come on chef, did you forget there's a history of your postings on these forums. I've offered you some advice on occasion, no one cares if you're really just beginning, so why the 5 year deal?:blush:

Your brag post about getting away with your reseed shows how much of a business novice you are.

Don't be fibbing dude. the worm will turn.:angry:
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

With that kind of luck, I'd be playing the lottery a lot more than I do now...which is never btw.