Lawn Renovation Estimate Help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Axl, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Wondering if you guys can help me out with an estimate I need to give a customer for a Lawn Renovation. His yard measured out to 9950 sq ft or 1105 sq yds. He wants an estimate for what it would cost to sod vs. hydroseed. It is high sun (no trees), 60% of the grass is dead to where I can tear it up with my hands. He definitely has GRUBS. Guy is trying to sell the house. The closest sod farm is HURON SOD and they want 1.35yd or 1.55yd delivered. He has woods behind his house and said he wants us to throw the dead stuff back their to decompose.

Any help would be appreciated, suggestions on best/most efficient method, or how you came up with the estimate. I have done sod installations before but never this BIG!!! But I have never done Hyrdo Seeding

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure he knows the volume of all that dead sod - the equivalent of about 12 full pallets of new sod. It might be hard to hide all that. I would bid $3800 for the sod install - includes stripping old stuff and dumping on site. The install should take about 12 man hours. If he selling the house in the next 2 months I would recommend sod. If it's not going on the market until mid to late June go with seeding.

3. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

PSUturf- what method would you use to strip the old sod. Would you spray roundup?

4. Fritz Creek Lawnboy

Fritz Creek Lawnboy LawnSite Member

Rent a sod stripper from your local rent all mart or Home cheapo! Also I would kill to get prices like that for sod delivered. Also hydro seeding is alway most certainly your most costly method. Sod would be your best choice. Based on your cost for sod and install of new sod if you did not have to strip old sod I would say 2660 but due to the labor of stripping old sod and disposing of it, along with having to rent a sod stripper; I would tack another grand to 1400 on it.