Lawn renovation, heavy clay what does it entail and what does it usually go for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Sep 24, 2000.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have lady wants me to renovate her front lawn, mayben 3-4k sf. Heavy clay. I assume i would heavily aerate the lawn, then get some nice top soil/fert dropped down and till it. Then aerate and seed? I have no idea how to do or what to charge any help =)..thanks guys.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you have not done much of this work.
    Rent an aerator and do your own lawn or a family member. Time yourself for the sq footage. That will give you a starting point.
    In this area seeding goes for arount 5-8 cents per sq foot. Plus prep time, top soil and fert.

3. syzer

Yeah, brand new, just starting up =(. Thanks for the help I will try that.

4. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Syzer- whatever you do make sure you take a soil test and add lots of gypsum or organic matter to breakup the clay. Otherwise nothing will grow. If you add gypsum, that will lower the pH somewhat. Counter that with lime next spring with the results from the soil test.

5. syzer

Thanks for the info guys, is there a site i can read a faq on this stuff or no?

Thanks.

6. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

For renovations just keep asking questions here. If you can find the listing, look for your local Cooperative extension office under gov. agencies. I donate some time to mine and they have tons if info on anything you need plus advice.