Lawn Renovation Plan

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GRT, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I am working on slowly renovating my tall fescue 1 acre lawn on the eastern shore of MD. Here's what I've done so far:

Aerated
    Put down a pre-emergent crabgrass preventer + fert
    Sodded a 600 sq ft area where a playground used to be, including tilling, raking, rolling, starter fert, laying down the sod, rolling again, and watering like crazy (it is taking well)
    Mowed twice so far
    Submitted a soil test with no results yet

I am ready to put down a broadleaf weed control and late spring fert. When I get my soil test back, I'm sure I am going to need to apply lime to bring up the pH. Should I do one before the other?

This fall I will likely be slit-seeding. I expect to do that in late sept or early oct depending on the weather. I am also considering top-dressing because the lawn is so bumpy (new construction). Is that a good remedy? I was going to do that after slit-seeding. Is that an appropriate time?

Thanks,

Geoff

2. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

Any advice here would be appreciated.

3. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I would wait for the soil test results before I put anything down, thats why you did it right? As far for the fall overseeding, to powerseed 1 acre, do you have a big machine or are you going to use a walk behind? I know some people may disagree, but I would aerate again, topdress and use a broadcast spreader to sow the seed, then invert a leaf rake and go over the lawn to place the seed on the soil. I would also do this process earlier in September, mabye the third week, this way more growing time and stronger root system. With a new construction lawn, a topdress is a must for a good lawn. Jmo. Good luck!