lawn renovation question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by teeca, Jul 29, 2006.

1. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

on doing a renovation i have always cut the lawn (or had it done), sprayed w/ round-up and aerated, then layed the sod. if the customer wants it seeded, can i do the same? how long will dead grass will show in the new lawn? i really don't have the man power to pull up the existing lawn. the lawn is mostly corse fescue and looks rough, i will be reseeding w/ ky-rye mix. i'm not new to the industry, just the first time for this request, most of the time it's a quick run w/ the slice seeder and i'm done.

2. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Round up can stay in the soil for sometimes up to a month, killing any seeds/new grass. Doing this method will most likely kill any new growth you are trying to establish and should not be done this way. What about renting a power rake, this takes little man power to do and can be done relatively quickly.
    James

3. teeca

the problem is all the coarse fescue, i need to kill this crap, and install the type of grass that people realy want in there lawn, not highway grade. i have not had a problem w/ round up in the past, i use the low %, not the 4% rate. i would try reward (diquat) but it has proven not to kill the roots in the past and caused regrowth of the weed. thanks though

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would kill it ASAP. and wait until the end of August, beginning of Sept. to seed. I just got done using Round Up and Scythe on our lawn reno customers and this method has worked out pretty good.

5. teeca

so do think the dead grass will fade-away after 1 month or so? thats my only concern. hate to do it and have it look like crap. i know the rye grass will germinate quickly, and the ky will take several more weeks, but will do a great job of filling in the voids.

6. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but that is just flat wrong. Glysophate (RoundUp) only kills green, actively growing plants that it touches while wet. It does not "stay in the soil for months". You can seed within 48 hours of application without any worry. In fact, theoretically, you could seed while it is still wet, though I wouldn't test that theory. It does absolutely nothing to seeds. It attacks and kills green growing tissue. It does nothing to dormant plants, either.

Now, for the question at hand. I would agree with the fellow that said to hit with RoundUp now, and then seed in September. I would take it one step further, though. Hit it with RoundUp, and then hit it again when the fescue seeds germinate again in 3 or 4 weeks. Can you burn this yard? That would be the best way to get rid of the residue after you kill it. It would also get rid of a lot of residual fescue seed. If you can't, I like the idea of a power rake, but that is just going to expose more of the fescue seeds. If the grade of the yard is good and needs no work, you might try the double shot of RoundUp, mow and catch the dead residue as low as you can, then slit seed.

7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Now, for the question at hand. I would agree with the fellow that said to hit with RoundUp now, and then seed in September. I would take it one step further, though. Hit it with RoundUp, and then hit it again when the fescue seeds germinate again in 3 or 4 weeks. Can you burn this yard? That would be the best way to get rid of the residue after you kill it. It would also get rid of a lot of residual fescue seed. If you can't, I like the idea of a power rake, but that is just going to expose more of the fescue seeds. If the grade of the yard is good and needs no work, you might try the double shot of RoundUp, mow and catch the dead residue as low as you can, then slit seed.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. After rounding that stuff up, i would set the mower as low as you can and use the dead grass as sort of a stabilizer for the seed that you will put down. aerify and ammend the soil. then power rake and seed. I've use this with great success even skipping the power raking and just tracking the seed in with my mower after i am done seeding. gl

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Check your PMs.....

9. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

how does the power rake compare with tilling?

power rake removes the stuff on top and tiller turns it under? power rake faster? tiller creates a better turf?