Lawn Renovation Questions

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Oakleaf landscape, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I want to run by you guys my system for aeration and overseeding. All my lawns are 10k sq ft which is nice. What I usually do is aerate first, then spread the fertilizer and put down 250lbs of lime. I havent done a ph test in a few years on my lawns but they all needed lime and the guys at JD landscapes said the soil here usually requires lime every year so I follow there instructions. It's just last year my seed didn't take very well on some of the yards I overseeded and was wonding if I could improve on anything?

This year I am geting my pesticide license and was going to offer weed killing too. I thought I would use Trimec Plus mixed at 3oz per gallon and have my initial spray 6 weeks before I seed and then come back in two weeks and respray. Spraying would be by a back pack sprayer. This would give me 4 weeks before I seed, is that enough time?

Also I was thinking of offering dethaching and if I do that sould I dethach before I aerate? Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn, only 19 and it's hard to find good information out there. Thanks for all the input guys!!

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

With a backpack sprayer, just do spot spraying and don't worry about how or when it affects the seeding.

3. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

One spray is plenty, I would do it a little closer like 3 weeks. That is plenty of time to eliminate the weeds.

Dethatch before you aerate.

And the seed coming up will have a lot to do with how much water it gets. Some homeowners might water and some might not, unless there is irrigation or something.

4. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, one last question, got a lady who called today and she wants her whole yard redone. I went over to look at it and it's full of weeds (90%) and there are 2 spots of bermuda. I know I can't get rid of the bermuda easily and she said that's fine. What I plan on doing is spraying it with round up and then mowing it as short as possible and rake clippings and then respray. Wait 3 weeks then slit seed? Or should I just spray it and rent a harley rake?

5. stephen424

stephen424 LawnSite Senior Member

Just mow it short (may have to double cut if it's high)...THEN spray.
    Why spray - cut - respray