Lawn renovation - resod over bermuda

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Shilohlandscaping, May 14, 2008.

1. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

I looked at a job today.. pretty simple job, edging is all existing brick and the sprinkler system is good. (I might suggest changing the heads though) The problem is, the lawn has been overtaken with bermuda grass. I would for sure try and kill the bermuda as well as I can... but after that would it be better to strip off the top inch or so or just till it all in? Im in NorCal and have seen quite a few resods done over bermuda that were fine for a couple years maybe but then the bermuda started coming back in.

Also, anybody used turflon to successfully kill bermuda?

edit:forgot to mention, the new sod would be a dwarf fescue / bluegrass mix.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck with that! Bermuda roots will go 6' deep or more if there is moisture down there. Do a search on how to kill Bermuda its been gone over many times before.

3. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

4% glyphosate in the spring or fall (Green-up or just before the cold hits), and when everything is dead, lay the sod. The Bermuda will come back, so it will need to be managed with Ornamec or the like.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

what type of lawn is it.is it a tiff grass,which is a bermuda hybrid.in arizona the only lawns that grow from april to october are bermuda or bermuda hybrids.it is a hot climate grass and it will eventually choke out any other.the growing patterns are similar to a certain weeds but mowed short(tiff mower) and fertilized regularly it is a beautiful lawn.bermuda hybrids are used on golf courses in the hotter climates.