Lawn renovation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by john_incircuit, Sep 8, 2005.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We primarily cut grass and do also aerating. Have a new customer, yard suffered a lot when an addition was put on his house. There are some major tire tracks, contractor planted wrong grass, yard plus has tons of weeds – it just looks bad. Yard is approx 75 x 75 feet.

Tried to outsource this one, but can’t find one with a Harley rake that has time, so I may have to do it.

From reading a number of posts, I figure this is the right sequence:

- Kill grass
    - Roto till
    - Add compost
    - Roto till again
    - Finish rake
    - Slit seed

I have three questions:

-- Once the grass is sprayed (RoundUP) and dead, is it OK to just roto till it under?

-- Can I put an inch or two of compost on the lawn before roto tilling and just roto till the lawn and mix in the compost at the same time?

-- Finish raking. How “dense” should the soil be to be ready for seeding? Roto tilling makes it very fluffy, should I run the drum over it before seeding?

Thanks for the help --- John
  2. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

kill weeds
    add compost
    till 2 inches compost in two or three inchs
    spread seed
    pull mat behind zero turn
    spread penn mulch/ whatever you use
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Roto tillers?

Comon guys.....what are we reseeding a motocross course?

Unless you have some serious grading and leveling to do I wouldnt roto till anything.

Round it up. Wait three days. Roundup doesnt have much of a half life and does not tie up in the soil.

Aerate the hell out of it, slit seed the hell out of it using a criss cross pattern, broadcast some perenial rye, add some starter fert after you aerate and water it heavily the first time, then twice or three times a day lightly.

Ive begun the seeding process many times even before all the grass was dying.

Roto tilling?

4. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

another option is to rip up the ground with a scarifier teeth the harley rake (after killing the existing grass of course) then seed and add fert and such based on a soil test. Then apply your favorite covering (straw, pennmulch etc.)
    about a 750- 1000 dollar job here.
  5. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

That is Penn State "using composts to Improve turf performance" break down on incorperating more than 1/4 inch of mushroom compost into the soil profile. 1/4 inch the double aeration.

I would do what ever the client feels is the value option for them. I try to give options on seed, mulch other items, a bunch of digging or a little so they have price options , hopefully I have a profit on what level of work they desire and there is no reason why they shouldn't pick a option.
  6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Thanks for the help!

Yes, we usually give the client a couple of options to select from, together with a somewhat detailed quote.

In my experience, customers don't like just to see a lump sum.