Lawn Renovation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scottscape, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Today I gave an estimate on a customers property being rotarytilled. The soil is pretty soft so I dont think I will have much of a problem there. The property is about 5000 sq ft. I am figuring goin over it about 4 times just to ge the soil fine and fertile then seeding, applying phosphurus and fertilizer. I am not sure what kind of seed I am going to use just yet. The property cosist's of alot of ruts and there are 2 spots where stumps were pulled and I am going to have to level out evenly. I dont mind doing this but then again its not one of my favorite. any other suggestions would be helpful. I've only done this twice.

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Forget the tiller. It would take a whole day of gruesome labor getting dragged by a tiller then hours spent raking. Rent a harley rake and be done prepping in a few hours. It will till and level all at once.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Do what Lawnworks said. Use a seed blend with Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, and fine fescue.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Where is an optimal place to get mix seed from?:confused: I have tried Lowes and TSC but they seem kind of pricey. Maybe it really is that expensive and I am just not used to the price?

5. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm gonna go ahead and rent the harley rake. There only $125.00 for the day at nations rent. I've got a massey ferguson tractor with pto and a tiller, which is what I was gonna use first. Does the Harley Rake tiller down the old turf well too and how many times do you think that I might have to go over it? This lawn has a few ruts and spots that dirt might need to be raked so I think I might use both. First my tiller then use the harley rake. What do you guys think?

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I would kill off the old grass with Roundup before ripping it up. You can use the Harley for minor grading and filling in ruts. If you do a mix of tilling and Harley raking you will get soft spots wherever you used the tiller.

You can get a variety of grass seed mixes at Lesco. Most of their seed is sold in 50 lb bags. The price is probably around $90 per bag. Big Box retailer stores often have lower quality varieties in their generic 50lb bags.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If you use the harley, I could not imagine a tiller doing anything better. The harley should break up 4-6" of the topsoil. I would imagine it would take 2-3 hours w/ a harley rake to get everything perfect, but then again there is no way to know what conditions you are working with.