Lawn Renovation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnRunner, Aug 26, 2006.

1. LawnRunner

LawnRunner LawnSite Member

Before starting my lawn care business two years ago I became a member of LawnSite. Wanted to say thank you for all the help you guys have been during my start-up. There hasn't been many days during those two years I haven't visited the site and read the posts. I have only made one post myself and it was a reply. Guess I thought it would be better to know something before giving an opinion.

The old job I had before going into the the lawn business didn't give me much of an opportunity to be outside. This is one of the things I really like about this business. That and the feeling I get when finished with a job are the reasons why I want to stay in the business.

Since starting my business I have mowed (Gravely 152Z & 36" walk behind), aerated (36" tow behind core plugger), fertilized (Lesco spreader & Deere tow behind), overseeded (Turfco slit seeder), trimmed bushes (Echo gas trimmer) and weed sprayed (Deere lawn tractor mounted with a 15 gal. ATV type sprayer). I am licensed for pesticide use.

Well on to my question.

Got a call to give a price on a lawn renovation this week. The home owner had fourteen trees removed from his lawn area. The stumps were ground and now there are mounds where each tree was removed. Also there are impressions left in the lawn from truck tires. The impressions are not deep, but will need smoothed out.

I need opinions on how you guys would handle this renovation:

Can the mounds just be tilled smooth?
    Will grass grow in the stump grindings?
    Would it be better to remove stump grindings and replace with topsoil?
    Would my slit seeder level out the impressions left by the truck tires?
    Is this a job for tractor box blade?

Thanks for any suggestions you guys have.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I would remove 80-90% of the grindings and replace with topsoil. the wood mixed in with the dirt from the stumps will break down eventually, however it will consume a lot of Nitrogen in the process, robbing the grass around it. Definitely better to remove the bulk of it.

The slit seeder won't level the dirt, only plant. In theory all the dirt is there where lawn is low its just compacted. I would till the area up with a good rear tine tiller and then rake smooth and seed it. The other quicker method is to use a boxblade to level it with new topsoil, however that doesn't alleviate the compaction and will be hard for the new seedlings to grow big roots.

3. LawnRunner

LawnRunner LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input Mat.