Lawn Renovation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by AJ Lawnscapes, May 29, 2007.

1. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys and gals! Hope you're all having fun.

I'm just getting started in all this on my own, but have worked for someone before.

Anyway, I have a customer that has "Orchard Grass" growing in their otherwise Dead Lawn. Brown spots etc. Straw patches, dead patchs, nothing patches.

There was no topsoil used, that I can tell. If there was, it was low grade from what the builder dug out for the basement or haul from up the street at the other locations.

The customer wants it fixed. They are planning on sueing the previous landscaping company/developer for not fixing the problem.

I'm thinking backhoe 3"-4" out, put fresh quality topsoil down, and spreading with Kentucky Blue or using that BlueYellow ( roll mat.

With rental of equipment, labor, soil removal/delivery, new hoses and sprinklers, My rough estimate is $5000. This iswith 2 guys working 8 hours a day for a week.

I did get a mulching job out of it so far :)

What do you guys think? Or, better yet, what do you suggest I do?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a water issue. Does it have irrigation? Note the grass around the down spout. If that is a newly seeded lawn it could use overseeding and lots more water, because of the slope.
    I would not invest 5G in a fellow who wants to sue landscapers. The 'orchard grass' looks like oats from the straw to me. So that is no problem.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We would not consider doing that renovation until the fall. It's basically June and you are going to be getting into your hottest months of the year, and with no trees around, that place is going to be baking like a desert. so that's my suggestion, wait till fall to do any reno work.
  4. AJ Lawnscapes

Thanks, that might be the best bet.

Just mow it down, fertilize it and put the sprinklers on a timer! (Possible sprinkler system :) )

Add some trees, and a regular Scotts treatment.

Thanks guys!

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree - there used to be a lawn there , but it burned up . If you or the client don't keep it watered , they could be threatening to sue you the next time . Imo , no topsoil is needed - just harley rake the existing soil to loosen up the top 3 - 4 inches , then seed or sod. But I would strongly suggest starting with an irrigation system.
  6. AJ Lawnscapes

see, that's what I was thinking also.

I was considering over-seeding the hell out of it, planting 3 maples along the one side, and some hedge maples on the back side where the grass meets the dirt and give them (or put in) 3-5 sprinkers on a timer to get the grass growing again.

Then at the end of summer, or middle, hopefully something takes off and I can keep their costs down. Not that I don't think they'll drop 5K on the complete new lawn, and not that I don't want to, but that sue thing scares me too.

I was thinking irrigation, and I've been having difficulting finding information on it. The property is 128*161*121*147 wth the house/driveway on average 76*56. That's installed around 5K, not including the lawn renovation??

Over my head me thinks, but what a way to dive in.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i would not touch that at all
    if the client is going to sue the old contractor due to lack of upkeep on there part what makes u think they wont get u
    say thanks and run especially if u dont know what u r gettin into
    just trying to save u some grief
  8. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

Run from it....if you were to renovate or alter it in any way you let the previous landscaper off the don't want to be caught up in a messy lawsuit...and you would if they sued.