1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn renovation??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gml9, Oct 22, 2004.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

A few weeks ago, I aerated and detached a lawn. I then sucked up the thatch with the Toro. Then I seeded with Lesco transition blend which many people recommended. I'm in VA. I used Scott's starter fertilizer to help the seedlings germinate. Its been about 10 days and not a whole lot of new growth. I know I should have done this in September but didn't get the job til October. Do you think I'll get better results in another week? Or in the Spring? What should I apply in the Spring to these lawns? Thanks for any advice. I plan to sliceseed in the future....so I know that is the best way to go. Trying to master this lawn renovation game.
  2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

when seeding you need to be sure you have good seed-to-soil contact.
    (you say you aerated and dethatch a few weeks ago, but seeded 10 days ago?)

then you need to be sure seed bed stays moist

10 days is not that long, you might just need to be patient a bit longer
  3. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I did it all in one day....and think I'm premature with the results....I'll wait another week and check on it then.

Thanks for the reply.
  4. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

without slit seeding i think you are only going to see the seed pop up in the aeration holes. here in Pa. if you dont get soil to seed contact it aint happening, as mentioned above. not to late in the season to hit it again though. I am still seeding for another week or so here outside Phila. but thats pushing the limit.
  5. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I checked the weather for Richmond, and it does look cool for the next week. I used Richmond as a reference not knowing where you are in VA. Anyway, let me throw in my 2 cents. Your have left the over seeding too late, even for VA I believe. You should look at over seeding sometime after labor day, but before the end of September. Not a hard fast rule, as rain fall, Indian summer etc. can sway your decision, but one that will give you some grass growth before the temps drop, leaves fall smothering grass, and day light goes. I'm in TN, and put some transition down on the 2nd October, and made my first cut today. It has only been in the last week that I have had good growth and coverage. I still have some areas which have germinated, but are thin, and weak. This is typical as ground temps have been on the low side. Other grass which I put down two or three weeks earlier are established, and doing well.

Just wait a little longer and hope for some warm temps with good sun, and you should be OK. Expect some winter kill, but don't be too eager to over seed in the spring, with a good fert this winter, it could bounce back, and go through next year OK, along with a good maintenance plan, followed by an early over seeding, maybe a slit seeding.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I'm putting some seed down tomorrow for a client, he understands the possible outcome, and then again, we could get lucky. Here in Middle TN, anything can happen. Last Halloween I walked around in shorts and a tee shirt.

Best of Luck

6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

10 days is still early. What was the seed analysis of the product? I would slit seed it again in the spring.