lawn repair (large)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by godzilla, Oct 24, 2012.

1. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Would you care to share or show the seed tag used on this property ? What was planted ? If this is such a demanding client wouldn't you have made sure the material that was hauled in was from a known source ?
    I've got some Top Gun II , Impulse perennial rye, Touché Kentucky bluegrass growing in the bed of one of my trucks from 6 weeks ago, looks like it needs a bit of fert.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

A slow recovery is not an option per se. I'm thinking remove the crap, bring in good material and cover with sod. Make the sub pay for it. I've already spoken with a few people about it, and should be able to get the money for it.

3. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Would like to see some pics, but giant oak trees I am sure have something to do with it.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Germination depends on adequate moisture and temperature above 50. As Smallaxe pointed out, not much else matters.

If this is a shade problem...seed might germinate...but the grass won't last long. Sod is poor in the shade, (although it might look good at first.) Shade-thinned areas should be planted with one of the well-known shade-adapted ground cover plants: myrtle, ivy, pachysandra, lamium...and more.

One additional potential problem is that there is some chemical in the fill sand that was brought in. Take a sample of the fill and try to grow some of your seed inside on your windowsill. Compare to good soil. And while you are doing that--try a different type of seed. Its possible the original seed was stored too long or under too hot conditions. Under ideal conditions, perennial rye should be a quarter-inch tall after 96 hours.

Show the customer the results. Ask to see his water bill. Never believe when a customer tells you how much he watered.

Hope this helps. We are trying. Grass seed isn't easy. Sub will blame it on the homeowner. Your arguments will fall on deaf ears. Ms Experience is a great teacher, but she is mean. Sod is a good choice. And get a new sub.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

The lawn was watered 22 min a day every day. Irrigation system.

6. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Really ? Who recommended that watering cycle ? :rolleyes:

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That occurred to me yesterday as well... there is so much residual in so many areas wheresoil is dug out that there might be some inhibitors to germination that aren't even understood that well...
    Hopefully no one has actually used pre-m in their "fertilizer" by mistake in the past 3 months... :)

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Of course you determined this by auditing the soil and irrigation system ..... right?