1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Repair

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hopper1124, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a customer that has a dip in the front yard, its is about 20' long by 5' wide slight dip nothing real bad.
    They have a great lawn, but the dip must be from a water line that sunk . they would like to have that fix
    Question is can I just fill that dip in with top soil over the existing grass?
    Do I need to kill that area of grass off first or what ?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive always just put the topsoil right over it and put fresh seed and straw down, and all of the lawns ive done that too came out great.
  3. ianc

ianc LawnSite Member

Get out the spade (or sod cutter) and peel the sod back about a foot outside the depressed area - fill with topsoil and put your plate packer on it - final grade and put the sod back

an area 20x5 won't take too long
  4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with ianc. Have done this a few times and you can't even tell where the dip was
  5. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice from everyone.Wouldn't worry about roundup or killing the original grass.Good luck!:p