Lawn repair

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Sep 26, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Okay guys I need some help here. Basically the customer has an area which is starting to become overun with moss, it also has some bent grass that seems to be coming in, for which she wants replaced with seed, not sod. The area gets plenty of water, as she has irrigation with a well. The problem lies in that it is shady for most of the day. Can anyone recommend what time of grass will grow good in the shade in Massachusetts? Other recomendations on doing the job?

2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

After looking into this a bit, i would scrape up or dig up the moss. Try and figure out why the moss is there and keep the area a little dryer and or get some more sun to it. RU the bent grass and seed a little on the heavy side and topdress. As for keeping the moss out you need to determine why its there in the first place. Im not all too familiar with moss myself but it wont be long someone will be ehre to tell you all about it=)..

3. Moss is an indication of many things, one of them poor soil conditions, drainage ect.... Got to correct the soil and the shade issue. :blob3: Most grasses need at least 4 to 5 hrs of sunlight to grow. :cry: Then you can maybe get things going again. Oh, scratching out the moss alone will help it out a little. Moss smothers the grass.
    John

4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

thanks guys, but what type of seed do u think, i know scotts has a shade mix

5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If its shady go with creeping red fescue, and for the winter just to cover put in some annual rye.
    You can also use aluminum suffate to get rid of moss.
    Like thew above post said moss is an indicater that there is a more serious problem, what that is is up to you to find out for sure.

jim