lawn repair

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by blm86, Apr 26, 2008.

1. blm86

blm86 LawnSite Member

i have a yard on a corner lot and the city pushed all the snow over the winter on this corner. Once all the snow had melted and the grass grew it is dead this year. So im guessing that it is from salt damage. What should should i do to prep the soil so i can install sod there?

2. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

I did a search online for you and am waiting on a callback from a rep. I'm finding some buzz "EarthUnlimited.net has a product, ProTerra Plant & Soil Rescue that will neutralize salts". This is an alternative to flushing the area with a huge amount of water. Do me a favor and if you go ahead and use this product let me know, via message or post about it. I have a similiar situation and am courious to see if it's actually effective. Thank You.

3. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

I just got off the phone with a gentleman offered a fix. The product was developed for agricultural use by farmers whos fields were flooded by seawater. How it works: "Proterra Plant and Soil ResQ" is a liquid application fertilizer that stimulates and feeds the native microbes in the soil that have the ability to break down salts. The soil will take "about" a year to return to its former glory, and the liquid applications need to be made in 3 month intervals. He's a redistributor and sells it in bottles small enough for a home user. If time isn't an issue, I suppose this could be an alternate to removing the salt contaminated soil & replacing with a fresh batch or repeatedly flushing the soil with fresh water. If this helps, let me know how it worked.

4. blm86

blm86 LawnSite Member

thanks a lot for the research and help. I am going to look into this product for future use. I think i am just gonna dig the soil out this time and hope that works. I would like to research this product more and make some calls . If i do try it though i will for sure let you know hoe it works.

5. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

The more we know the better business we do. I stopped by my fert/seed supplier guy today and described your situation. He said, that in the northeast the window of oppurtunity for microbial activity is pretty narrow. His suggestion was, use a Calcium suppliment, apply at the root level, and water it in. Good luck & see you around.

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just use gypsum-- its readily available everywhere

g/l

7. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

You forgot to mention that Proterra also increases breast size and reduces acne. That stuff is the text book definition of snake oil.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There is going to be snow again next winter. I would just clean it up and put down some seed heavy on the annual rye.

9. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

Good to know PSU