1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn roller pictures

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tyaroch, Apr 4, 2008.

1. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Well, I finally got a chance to put my JD 777 through its paces. I pulled this roller around the neighborhood rolling about 7 acres. It did a great job and I didn't wreck my mower. LOL. The roller is about 3' tall and 6' wide. It was a tank my father in law found and fabricated. shortly after is maiden voyage 25 years ago, he put a 3/8 steel jacket around it because the tank was not strong enough. Needless tosay it leaks, but works well. I figure it weights in excess of 2800 lbs. It pulled well and really made the ground flat. Here are some pics. I am just posing, I don't want to hear comments about the pic being fake of something. LOL! I really did roll with it though.

hawii 2008 180.jpg

hawii 2008 181.jpg
  2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

holy cow! I bet your pumps were steamin.
  3. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

but why do you roll a yard?? I bet it lays down a good stripe though. ;)

I mainly mow grass....just getting in to landscaping, so I've never rolled a yard.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Whats that thing weigh? Looks a little heavy to me. Mine weighs in a 950lb and does a good job I'm not sure but I would think the one your using would lead to some pretty good compaction especially if the ground is fairly wet. How does the Z handle pulling that much weight? Looks like a 2500lb roller if not more.
  5. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

It weighs at least 2800 lbs. But, with the footprint this thing lays down, the PSI is not that much. The reason I roll the lawn is because the frost here lifts the lawn and it leaves un-eaven hills all over. Also, it fixes tracks from plowing with the tractors and such. Without rolling the lawn is a lot more bumpy. I do not have a suspension seat either. Sorry the pics are soo dark. Here is a better one.

hawii 2008 1801.jpg

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

dude i dont know if i would do that with a nice mower that is some weight..........
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if your soil is like ours, mostly clay, your doing more harm then good, the frost heave will naturally settle, but the rolling compacts the clay and makes for a very unhealty root system, unles you areate after rolling,

i dont think id pull that thing with such a nice mower either...

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

lucky you didnt pull the back end of your mower off, must not weigh as much as you think , wheels would spin before they would pull if damp out , must be pulling are legs and not the roller lmao
  9. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

It is 300 gallons of water + all that steel. It did not pull hard honestly. It is rolling weight you know. I know about compaction. My family farms and compaction is a huge ordeal. I am going to spike it soon though. Like I said, the PSI is not as much as you think. It is only 9 lbs/sq.in. Less than the heel of your boot, which is 9 or 10 lbs/sq.in