Lawn Rollers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j.kelley, May 22, 2002.

1. j.kelley

j.kelley LawnSite Member

I have a customers that was wondering if there are still people that use lawn rollers. They have alot of rough spots in there lawn and want to smooth them out. They are looking for some advice on the easiest way to smooth the spots out. I have seen them in home depot/lowes, places like that, but I haven't ever used one, do they work?

Thanks for you help.

2. BOBCAT36

BOBCAT36 LawnSite Member

TRY TOP DRESSING THE YARD WITH A SAND MIX......IF THE YARD IS NOT TO ROUGH

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

No offense Bobcat, but before I'd arbitrarily top-dress with a sand mix - you need to know what type of soil you have on site. Georgia is different than Nebraska - I'm guessing. Otherwise you'll create layers of various soil and create perched water tables. I'm sure Lawnstudent will respond... he knows he's stuff and will be better able to address the potential problems with sand. Top dress with a similar/same soil mix as exists currently to smooth over the really rough spots.

A lawn roller will help with some spots, but you'll need to make sure you incorporate aerating into your program - as rolling will compact the soil, and you'll not want to create or exacerbate any existing problems. It depends on how lumpy the lawn is and what the lumps come from as to whether a roller will help.