lawn rolling/areator/seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ccorts, Apr 10, 2006.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I recently top seeded a large area of shaded yard where grass was very sparse during last years growing season. Now I wish I had areated (pull behind plug type) prior to seeding. If I areate now, should I re-seed, or will the seed on the ground be ok. Also, can someone tell me why people believe that their yard needs to be rolled at scheduled periods. Wouldn't compacting the soil be a bad thing?? It seems counterproductive to areating. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Well its not really counter productive. True rolling does compact the lawn but if you aerate seed then roll, yo uwill have excellent soil seed contact cover up a lot of the holes and seed and smooth out the lawn. With the amt od holes you are puting in the ground, the soil will uncompact after you roll it for about 10 days to even months, (as long as it takes for the holes to totaly close up is as long as it takes for the lawn to uncompact) Because it takes days or weeks for the soil to relax after aerating, it only makes sense that rolling will not actually affect the compaction, unl;ess you rolled a lwan without aerating 1st which would be a little silly, it would not accompish what you are trying to do