Lawn Rolling Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apexlawn03, Feb 27, 2005.

1. apexlawn03

apexlawn03 LawnSite Member

I am from the Finger Lakes Region of Up State NY and was wondering if anyone else offers a lawn rolling service. Questioned tow bhind vs the gas powered hydro type I saw at the NY Farm Show. I have seen people around my area have someone roll the lawn with a ride on type. I think the hydro idea is good.aprox 1200 lbs when filled . 36 wide or 48 wide.

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i would never roll a lawn. To me and what i was taught it does nothing but compact the soil as to why you do areation. But thats just me. I see alot of home owners and others roll lawns in my area too. And i live in western NY

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the intended benefit of rolling a lawn?

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

no benefit. thats my .02

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

It's supposed to smooth out areas but like said all it does is compact the soil. Guys will do it when installing sod and sometimes seed for "better" contact" but then you just have to increase how often you aerate. Only time I did any rolling was for baseball field skinned areas and runways.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have some different roller types. I have a 1 1/4 ton ride on hydro, a 60" 1000lb pull behind and a 36" ride on hyrdo. We use whichever one fits the lawn better. We don't do that many lawns anymore it's a pretty boring job. I have one customer who hires a guy with a pavement roller and it doesn't appear to do any damage to the lawn. The guy has 4 acres that he uses as a rough golf course that they use the big roller on we do the rest of the good lawn with our small roller. You can't tell the difference other than the big roller lawn is smoother, the grass looks the same.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 1000 pound roller behind a ZTR to roll lawns. Made a lot extra money last spring doing it. People in my area were really pleased and impressed with the service.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Procut, St Johns isn't too far from East Lansing. Take a ride down there to MSU's Hancock Turf Research Center. Any of those fine gentlemen in there will explain to you why you should NOT roll a lawn.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure they will, but at the current time, there are many customers who REQUEST this service. Not to mention, it beifits me, becuse later, I can go faster on one of the ZTRs while mowing.

10. TTM1

TTM1 LawnSite Member

Do the lawns up north need to be any harder? Doesn't make since to me.