Lawn Rolling

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BriansLawnService, Apr 11, 2005.

1. BriansLawnService

BriansLawnService LawnSite Member

I have had several people ask me about rolling yards. Most of them are smaller yards that are pretty bumpy. We have a lot of clay in our area also, so the ground can be pretty hard.

Do the smaller rollers that you fill with water and push by hand really work. Most of the yards that request it would not be able to handle a tractor of any size.

Thanks

2. ScottsLCS

ScottsLCS LawnSite Member

I have been rolling lawns for a few years and what I have found was best was to wait until the ground is a little bit soggy and then take the roller out. I tried pulling it with my Dixie Chopper, but the rear tires made more ridges in the ground than the roller flattened. After it rains here today, I am going to take a roller and go over a few smaller lawns by hand. It may take a lot of strength to pull a 300+ lb. roller, but they will pay for the labor.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

4. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

When I roll a lawn, I buy the toilet paper in bulk at wall mart to save money, and I do it with dark clothes on at night. : ) :)

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Apologies, I have had a second glass of wine! (big glasses)

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I agree with Marko, you will collape th emacropores in the soil and thereby sqeeze out the air. Bad idea. Last thing you want to do is do it when wet if you have clay.

7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

So, what is the proper way to level off a really bumpy lawn?