1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn rolling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Mar 27, 2001.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me if rolling lawns really works, I got so many calls last year for it, that I put rolling in my spring letter and youd think I was giving away free gold, everyone wants it done. Is there any downside thanks
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The downside is that it causes compaction. What is the upside?
  3. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler LawnSite Member

smooth yard, some dead grass, pros and cons, easier to mow, reseed some of it
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I do it for smoothing out purposes. BUT, I do tell them that once its done it needs to be aerated. Then guess who aerates? :D
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

We prefer to use Charmins when we roll, better quality and more hang time!

That's something I never see anybody do down here, not even when they intall sod on a new yard! I have a few that I think need it, how much can you get out of them to do this and how much weight is in the roller?
  6. nysnowman

nysnowman LawnSite Member

I always thought it was something only done up here.The frost over the winter pushs up the sod.Rolling helps flatten it back out.Its great money.I charge $40-$45 per lawn.The best days to roll are saturday and sunday.I get on street to do one and end up doing at least 3 more next door. So try to do all your tract homes on the weekends.
  7. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Seems as though more peaple need to educate their customers. We have peaple that ask us to roll their lawn and we tell them that we don't participate in damaging practices. We explain to them the affect of rolling and the fact that it is detrimental to a healthy lawn. We then explain to them the benefits of aeration, thatching, mulching, soil tests and all the other beneficial practices. I try to educate the customer, we as the professinal lawn care operators need to practice this more. The customer called us for our education and experience in the green industry.
  8. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Thanks Matt, I thought I was the only one that condemned rolling. When I see people doing it I want to give them a business card so I can fix the problems it causes.
  9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt is right for northern areas, for sure!
  10. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We have the best of both worlds.We will not roll a clients lawn,and tell they why.But at the same time we will gladly roll a lawn of a non-client.Its good money.....and even better money when you got a free roller :)