lawn rolling

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sulston, Apr 10, 2007.

1. sulston

sulston LawnSite Member

I originally posted this in the maintenance forum but since I am relatively new to the lawn biz and specifically to this area of lawn care I thought I'd try here too, hope thats OK. I need some advice. I have a customer who wants their lawn rolled for the fact that it is rather bumpy, which in fact it is. Now I know that a lot of you guys are against lawn rolling because of the compaction thing which I completely understand but I'm looking for some advice on what to tell this customer. I know that the lawn did not get aerated for the last 2 years so should I agree to roll it but recommend an aeration with it? Or should I just tell him it's really not a good idea, but then what do I do about the bumpiness? Is there a better way to fix that problem? Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm just not sure how to go about this. If I'm going to tell him it shouldn't be rolled I'm going to need a good explanation as to why, more than just it compacts the soil. Thanks a lot.

2. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I would explain to him that rolling it will help eliminate some of the bumps. Then follow up with explaining the benefits of aerating a lawn. Then tell him you'll make him a package deal to do both of the services. Just explain that the aerating will not bring the bumps back.

3. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

i like rollling yards i think its good for them. i would roll it when the ground is damp so it will smooth out better and also try to get a aerating in there too you should make good money if you know what your doing

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You're in dire need of a university class on soils. Rolling damp soil is possibly the WORST thing a person could do the the soil.:nono:

5. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

A proper lawn maintenance schedule should include rolling as well as aerating. Anyone who thinks rolling a lawn is a bad idea should tell your local golf course to "stop rolling the fairways because it's bad for them" and see what they say!

6. Grassmechanic

Well let's see Ace, since I've run a GC for over 8 years, I can tell you that rolling was NEVER a part of my regime. Just because you see someone else do it, does not make it right. I know a few supers who have no clue as to what they're doing. You need to sign up with Bigmudder for basic soils class if you believe there is a benefit to rolling.

7. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

Wow, I didn't know that the ground didn't freeze and thaw in s.e. michigan!

8. Grassmechanic

It does. And your point is???

9. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

As the freezing and thawing process is occurring the ground becomes uneven and lumpy, not exactly ideal GC conditions. While rolling doesn't make your grass any greener it does provide a more level cut and smoother playing surface. (and my game can use all the help it can get)

10. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Golf courses replaced rolling with top dressing many years ago. The only part of a golf course that currently gets rolled are sand based greens. Greens can handle it because they are aerated multiple times per year.