1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn rolling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1grnlwn, Feb 20, 2002.

1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone roll lawns. Every spring I get calls from people wanting to roll there yards. By back 40 is rougher than a cob and I concidered getting one for that. I understand the implications of compaction (please no lectures) I would recomend Aeration along with rolling. Just think this may open new fert/aerate customers. I know the golf courses do it so it can't mean instant death.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

A water filled roller will help minimally on an established turf. To have any kind of success, the ground should almost be "pumping", but not enough to where your feet leave imprints in the soil. Remember to pull this sucker behind you as it is very heavy.
    Personally, we only use ours when installing sod. I would definately advise you to roll the lawn bi-directionally also.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

what are the pros and cons to rolling also? perfect timeing for this thread to come up, i was wondering the same thing.
  4. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

We have roll'ed a few in south Fla. Major differance. We used the smallest kind you can ride on.(rented it). Like Bob said above, the amount of water you use is important. Be sure to use flags or something to mark your sprinklers so you don't mess'em up.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The only time I use a roller is when installing a new lawn. I will roll over everything to assure good seed to soil contact. On established lawns.... I dont know.. What is the point? Maybe to level out bumps in the lawn? I know a major Con is soil
    compaction !!!
  6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

we dont roll lawns. dont own a roller, and they cost too much to rent for a one time use.

every year, i get the same customer asking me to roll her lawn because the backyard is swampy, and the mowers make tire marks in the lawn.
    Every year, i tell her the same thing. your lawn doesnt need rolled, it needs some drainage installed. but no, she says that is too expensive.

I then tell her that it would cost 200 dollars to roll the lawn, and explain that if we rolled the lawn for six straight years, that would be 1200 dollars. if she had us install the drainage, the price would be about the same, and there would be no worries about ever rolling the lawn again.

Yet, she still does nothing, and I hear it every year, for the past 6 years.
  7. stslawncare

from DE

in a few months this customer is having me aerate and put seed down with no soil or straw (i know timing and method is bad but thats what she wants), would rolling the lawn be a good idea also?
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote: . I know the golf courses do it so it can't mean instant death

A golf course green usually sits on special sand chosen for its ability to not compact. Putting greens are intensely managed. (water, fed, and treated for disease) So they have a better opportunity to withstand the compaction of lawn rolling.
    It's important to understand that golf course greens and regular lawns can not be compared so the maintenance practices will differ.

What I have read, I give a "thumbs down" to lawn rolling.

But I know what you mean. We get asked about lawn rolling too. We always just say no and explain the downfalls of rolling.
  9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course, the first thought to anyone, wanting to remove unevenness, or bumps, in a lawn, is to smooth it out by rolling. But earth is not that fluid, and you could run a street paving roller over a bumpy lawn, and you would still have almost all the bumps.

Only time a roller will make any difference on uneven dirt, is when the dirt has been tilled, and then wet almost to a mush. Only then is the soil fluid enough to be squashed flat by rolling. But then, if you're gonna till it anyhow, why not just level it properly and forget the compaction of rolling.

Some people like to roll after seeding to enhance seed/soil contact; in some areas of the country, this may be helpful. But in most soils this is unnecessary if seedbed is properly prepared. Rolling a newly sodded lawn or sod repair can be useful to make sure sod is seated flush to soil, after the job is done; only use roller 1/3 full of water in this case, if area has been properly prepared.
  10. stslawncare

from DE

in this case i am seeding a lawn that already has grass, my guess is aerate, seed, roll?