1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Rolling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

A customer of mine wanted us to level his lawn with topsoil, a service that I don't offer. I referred him to a guy I know who does this, and his cost was too high according to my customer.

Now he wants to know if I will use a sod roller to smooth out his bumpy lawn. I don't think this will work, but he is insistent. Has anyone ever used a sod roller to do this kind of job? It is a small lawn. He said that he will get it nice and wet first so that the roller will be more effective. Won't my footprints make more bumps? Thoughts???
  2. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

if things are getting to the dry side of spring in your area it should work fine. the trick is finding a good roller.if you are goingto tow it it must be wider than the tractorif not than heavy enought o compact and yet not kill you or the poor slob you put to the pull!!
  3. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Right after I moved into my house, I bought a McLane 20" reel mower. The sod wasn't level enough...not even close enough...for a reel mower.

I rented a sod roller from the local rental place. Took it home and filled it with water. Then, I got the water hose out. It didn't seem to matter that I had watered the night before.

To make a long story short, I was pushing and pulling that rental roller over my lawn for about 5 or 6 hours to smooth out about 1,500 to 2,000 square feet. The problem I had was that I was dealing with pure north Texas black clay. There is no such thing as organic matter or even sand in this stuff. Just pure clay. It took a lot of work to get the clay to the necessary saturation point such that it could be smoothed out.

After I was done, the stuff was compacted so bad that the water wouldn't penetrate the lawn. It looked like drought even though I was watering three times a week. I had to go rent a core aerator.

I'd say a roller would probably work pretty well if the underlying soil is uncompacted with just the right amount of organic matter, clay and sand. Otherwise, bid high.

By the way...38-28 & 13-16 (Zero Yard Rushing)...Back to back, Baby! State Champs. Yea, you KNOW what I'm talking about, don't you?

Loser Sooner...Loser Soooner...Loser Sooner...Loser Sooner!

DFW, TX
  4. Gene $immons

Meier, Thanks for the info. Yes OSU is a pain in the *****.

5. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

OU gets pumped for Texas every year and Nebraska for two years on, two years off.

OSU is still considered by the Sooner faithful to just be the pain the ***** little cousin to the north.

OSU-OU/Bedlam pales in comparison to OU-Texas or OU-Nebraska.

Meanwhile, you're little pain in the **** cousin to the north has only one game all season that we really care bout....Beating OU.

Over the last 11 years, OSU has one bowl victory.

Over the last 11 years, OU has 5 bowl victories, two conference championships and one national championship.

Just looking at that, you'd think the series would be really lop-sided.

Even though the Pokes haven't been winning many games the last 11 years, we're 5-5-1 against OU.

To the true Cowboys fans, that's all the winning we need.

You guys keep focusing on Texas/Nebraska. That's fine with us.

I love to hate OU.

DFW, TX
  6. Gene $immons

There are sports message boards you know.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have very bad clay soil here in Wisconsin and in the spring we get many requests to roll lawns. The frost action(natural aeration) really makes a mess in some areas. People just want a smooth lawn and there is a guy that actually has a commercial roller that is similar to an asphalt roller that he uses on the lawns. It does smooth them but compacts the holy hell out of them too.
    Then there are the people that have bumpy lawns because they are 40 year old lawns that have been neglected and also have 10 trees on a 1/4 acre lot.

Bottom line is that I have a water filled roller that weighs about 250 lbs. I use it after seeding to increase seed to soil contact. It will temporarly work to compact small areas of lawn but I do not commercially offer the service. If a customer wants rolling I advise them that after they find someone, call me and I will come and aerate it.
    I don't know how your soil conditions are but if you are working on wet dirt you may have a problem. If it is a lawn, its a **** shoot. It may or may not help. I wouldn't offer any guarantees but I would want to be paid up front. Good Luck.
  8. sodJerry

sodJerry LawnSite Member

when we moved into our house the lawn was extremely rough from people walking through the yard of new sod. I went and rented an asphalt roller and rolled it after a rain. That did a great job. I did aerate the lawn in the fall then to help fight compaction.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Your American footy is for women! You lot should check out Rugby League, Rugby Union or Aussie Rules. Now thats footy! Your lot run around in protective shells and they cant even play the whole game. One lot tries to score, and another lot try to stop the other team form scoring. Bunch of softies I reckon! I will now duck and cover from all the punches thrown:angry: Or maybe I should get a helmet and some of the protective stuff they wear. he he:D

As far as the lawn goes, like above, depends on whats under the lawn. If clay, Your probably best top dressing but of course you can Water and Roll. You could try some (I think this is how you spell it) GYPSOM. It breaks down clay, after your done. If sandy, water then roll. If you have to roll more than say 3 times over, it shouldnt be done in my opinnion. Top dressing in a small area really isnt that hard anyway.
    There is even the "wacka packa" used before laying pavers you could think about. I've had a couple of :drinkup: so I hope that made sense. Xcept for the footy bit. Thats true!:cool::angel: