1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Rolling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C & S, Jul 31, 2003.

1. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I have a customer that would like his lawn rolled. I have had little experience with this, so I would appreciate some help. Is it necessary to aerate after? Is plug aerating better than spike. Should you also seed when aerating? Like I said, Any help would be appreciated.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally don't use lawn rolling or advertise it at all.

Plug aeration is best in my opinion and no you don't have to seed after it. I would suggest a thin layer of topdressing though.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Perhaps this customer means he wants it aerated?

Or is he refering to the rollers used for striping?

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

lawn rolling went out with the dinosaurs. Causes more problems than it fixes.
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

What all was it "supposed" to accomplish?:confused:
  6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I was just thinking about rolling today. A few of my customers could use it. I have a roller that we used to use with our tractor. What are the pros/cons? I saw that someone said it can cause problems? please elaborate
  7. Dr. Mow

Dr. Mow LawnSite Member

compaction - but then you can sell your customer - aeration.:dizzy:
  8. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Sure does get rid of those ruts that some LCO'''''''s make by cutting the same old pattern every week......Marks Mowing Service
  9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I use a lawn roller for new sod installs;makes better root to soil contact.If it is my client I roll new sod for the first 2 seasons to help level the lawn. Helps makes the mowers not scalp.I do a church where utility trucks park in the lawn and leave depressions.After a hard rain i will roll those tracks to level them out.Guess I'm a dinosaur.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can understand it in the Spring, when the ground is real soft, if the property is known to be real rough to operate on, but doing it this time of year (except down south with all the rains) would be completely useless as hard as the ground is in most parts. The main thing would be, who would be willing to pay for it? By the time you transported your roller, filled it, rolled the lawn, then emptied it and rode back home, how much time would it take? You would have to get a pretty hefty price to cover this.