Lawn Rolling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GripB, Jan 27, 2004.

1. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I have a property (new construction) where the lawn immediately around the new house has a very smooth great final grading job. Outside of that (the house was built in an open meadow) is teeth rattling bumpy!! Never had to deal with this problem...is rolling good or bad. Other suggestions? "BAD" area is approximately 1/2 acre.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if it is really bad, I would just get a tiller, and redo the entire area and smooth it out. I feel the lawn rolling will not achieve 100% satisfaction

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It all depends on the size of the roller. If it weighs enough and you can do it when the ground is soft enough I've had some pretty good results. You won't do it with a 36 inch roller, though a 72 inch weighing around 3k # might.

Mac

4. tiedeman

from earth

good point dirt

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Tiedeman, My brother had the same problem with his house when it was built, so he gets the guy on the vibrating roller thats doing the rd to smooth his lawn out. Flat as a pool table and it only cost him a 12 pack LMAO

Mac

6. tiedeman

from earth

that is too funny :)

7. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

there is a big lawn roller on ebay now.

8. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Not a great idea to do long term for the sake of the soil structure. Remember soil is 50% mineral, 25% water and 25% air space. Rolling crushes the air space giving you concrete. If you really must roll, consider aerating, topdressing and using a drag to smooth the turf.

9. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely aerate after you roll.

Craig:)