Lawn rolling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, Mar 24, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

We're starting out and only offer mowing, trimming and blowing. However, we've been asked about lawn rolling.

If I understand correctly, this involves using a water-filled cylinder to even out an uneven surface.

This sounds deceptively simple and easy.

Anything I should watch out for? Can I rent one of these? Any suggestions on pricing?

Thanks!

2. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Lawn rolling may smooth out the ground... a little bit, but it is horrible for the grass. It deliberately compacts the soil, which is exactly what we're usually trying to fix with things like aerating. The damage to the lawn definately outweighs the benifits of it being smoother. On top of that, unless you use a vibrating ashphalt roller, rolling doesn't really smooth the lawn very much.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

LawnCrafters is exactly right. If you have a property dominated by Moles, like mine...maybe it would help so your blades don't dull in five seconds, but even then most don't have the weight to press them down enough to really help.

Jay

4. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a different opinion. It is very common around here. Rolling also makes it smoother for mowing. We highly suggest yearly aerating anyway, but especially if the customer want rolling. It is all about preference. If you are going to roll, get a heavy enough one that you are not wasting your time. Also, the timing of the rolling is a tricky issue. You have to get the window of time that is after a good couple of rains, after the ground thaws, not too mushy, but mushy enough---if that makes sense. Good luck.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a self propelled roller that weighs 1000 lbs loaded. It is 36" wide, we use it because the frost here heaves the ground. If you don't do the lawn you would be bounced off the mower. The ground conditions need to be right or you will compact too much.