1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Seed,, What Do You Like....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by WETSCAPE, Apr 25, 2008.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I have been using the Scotts Contractors brand in the past. Stopped in @Lesco to compare price of seed. It was double what I purchase.
    OK so what is the best bang for the money? I don't mind spending on seed if it is really good. I use rye grass as I am up in CT...
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

Lots of difference in seed. If you are comparing apples to apples, there is probably not a huge difference in price unless you are buying it in 10 pound bags from the local garden center. If you are ordering from a reputable seed dealer, they are going to be more than willing to explain the differences and probably help guide you on which blend is needed if you ever have a job with a problem lawn.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Thanks, make alot of sense. What seed have others used and have good results with?
  4. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We've been using lesco athletic mix for the most part the last few years. Expensive yes, but excellent results, we will use other lesco mixes for specific areas or needs, but this is our standard now. We used to figure a quality grass mix was fine, but the results from the lesco mixes have been superior to everything else we have tried.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Thanks!! I am going to stop into my local lesco dealer and have a look...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

TRIGOLD,from lesco............
  7. grasskicker71

grasskicker71 LawnSite Member

Using Winning Colors on a couple and Lesco Transition on the others. Right now I'm leaning toward the Lesco. It has a Much darker green that I like. Both seem to be about priced the same.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

Wierd question? Is it a good time to seed with Lescos Trigold or Winning Colors seed now? I have searched and most seem to put down in OCT?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question...
    Thank You....
  9. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

I recently purchased seed from Lesco as well. I cant remember exactly which one, it was about $80 dollars for a 50lb bag. I didn't realize how much seed 50lbs was. Anyways I haven't used enough of it yet to tell you my experience but I have heard a lot of good things about it. Which Lesco are you using Wetscape? The one we have here in Stratford is pretty good. I do some work in Fairfield as well maybe I'll see you around.

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I use the one in Stamford. I just started doing landscaping. The major amount of my work is hardscape, and ponds for fish.