1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn seeding help.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TazLandscapes, May 9, 2007.

1. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes LawnSite Member

I am doing a snowplow repair job for one of my customers.I am putting down new loam and i am going to put hay overthe seed.But that is where i need the pros help!!!!!!
    I use to just get a cheap bag of seed that i would just grab of the shelf at the local home depot.I need to know what type of seed to get that is the right type of grass.so any help is appreciated.

Mike DiBiase
    Taz Lawncare
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Take some pics of the grass around it. We can lead you in the right direction .
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get 50 pound bags for starters, this is the cheapest $ / pound.

Beyond that I would make sure to get a quality seed, pay a little extra to get something around 90% germination rate and 0.1% seed or less, you can read the data on the tag.

Likely you can plan on spending $75 on one bag, price of seed is high this year.
  4. TazLandscapes

Hey Runner
    The grass type is Kentucky bluegrass.

I was thinking getting a bag of scotts fertilizer and seeds but i have no damn clue what to get. Half the spots i have to seed are in full sun contact,and the other half is right up against the house which is a 50/50 mix sometimes it gets sun sometimes it shaded.Plus would it hurt if i spread hay over these areas ???..

Mike DiBiase
    Taz Lawncare
  5. topsites

I've never spread hay, hate that crap but... It is later in the season, you might ask some questions, hay may be necessary to ensure the fresh grass can tolerate the heat and has a little extra moisture but idk, idk...I would core aerate, that's what I always do because it about doubles the germination rate (it makes a big difference in how much of the seed sprouts).

After it is done, water heavily (daily), sprinkler system style.

Anyhow, I would skip Scott's because of the price on the fert, here's how I do it:
    Get a low first / high Middle number fert, like around 12-28-0 or 8-34-7 as examples, remembering that these numbers are percents then do this math: Spread 30 - 60 percent per 1/4 acre, so 1-2 bags per 1/4 acre... One bag minimum but 2 max, doesn't matter too much if it's a 40 or a 50 lb. bag.
    Really, 1 bag per 1/4 is ok but 2 for 3/8's and with 1/2 acre you can safely assume 3 bags (at 28 - 34 percent or thereabouts / bag).

Remember it has to be watered heavily (daily), sprinkler system style.

You don't want to go too heavy on the fert, the heat will play rough with that, but to enhance the effect I usually always spread some lime:
    Spread one bag of lime per 10 percent of fertilizer, so 3 bags per 1/4 acre but no need for more because this isn't about ph... Well yes it is, but more important is the magnesium in the lime will help release (make available) certain inactive ingredients in the fertilizer, thus enhancing the fertilization effect without having to super fertilize (which could make it burn, so do the lime thing vs. more fert).

Now don't forget to water the seeded area(s) heavy (at least once / day).

As for seed, you can do it either way, the basic formula is light = 25 lbs. per 1/4 acre, heavy = 50 lbs. per 1/4 acre ... Now I tell you, when I do this stuff, as expensive as seed is I love to spread it heavy because if I do a TON of seed then I don't gotta deal with a ton of labor on the other stuff (fert + lime). You can do 50 lbs. per 1/4 acre but if price is an issue, I threw down 150 pounds on my acre lot last fall and it made a big difference (remembering that for an acre, 100 is light and 200 is heavy seeding). My lot isn't class A yet, but I dare say it at least went from a C- to a C+, maybe a B-, it still has a ways to go but I also understand it takes 2-3 years of consistent care and maintenance, by my book. Yeah, to me light seeding is for the birds, either heavy or at least halfway there. If there is NO grass, no doubt - spread heavy. Only time you might go light is if they already have close to a class A turf and a few parts need a little help, but otherwise a TON of seed costs $ but saves great labor...

Oh, and I would super definitely core aerate!

Good luck, hope that helped.
    heheh dont forget to water lol, seriously thou
  6. topsites

Keep this in mind: Doing what we speak of is a little bit like cooking, meaning everybody has their own little recipe. What I talk about is the way I do it.

Other folks prefer heavy fertilizer, still some swear by a TON of lime, the rest use various combinations... It does take some trial and error and involves a learning process, but feel free to work with my formula and see how it works for you, you can either fit it to suit your style as you make progress beyond the first application or keep using it as is...

Another thing I found never hurts is add some calcium sulfate to the formula, 2-3 bags per 1/4 acre, I usually use stuff called 'Clay buster' because it sells at HD for $5.50 a bag, and the calcium within helps. Lime is mostly calcium carbonate, clay buster (or gypsum) has calcium sulfate, it's not the same thing but calcium is good.

That's how it works, I developed my formula over the years, just happens to be what works for me... I got the formula from another guy, but his formula originally involved a TON of fertilizer, a little lime and sparse seeding (but also core aeration)... I just adapted it to my liking over the years, hope that helps.
  7. TazLandscapes

hey Topsites Thanks for all the help.!!!!!!
    What type of 50pnd bag of grass seed and fertilizer should i buy.
    I was also thinking about either using Vigoro seeds.but my dad just ordered a case of this stuff called patch perfect.https://www.patchperfect.com
    we saw it on tv today and he ordered it. It looks to be hydroseed in a jar.???

Thanks Again
    Mike DiBiase
    Taz Lawncare