1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn service discontinued by a PITA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I was canned today by an elderly woman who owns 2 properties. She made it clear she was in financial difficulty until the second property sold so please let the mowing go as long as possible between cuts.

Sent her a bill for triple cut/overgrown mowing 1 time both properties the whole month. She just canceled because the rate was too high. Not realizing she saved tons of her money versus weekly service. Tried to get her to appreciate the fact I thought I was doing her a favor.

No more "special request" lawn mowing. Try to be a nice guy and help someone out, that dog won't hunt anymore.
  2. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Right behind you....most people do not seem to realize when you are doing them a favor or going out of your way for them. Instead of a nice "Wow...that was awful nice of you...you are a wonderful specimen of a human being....thank you!" You end of getting the attitude that..."you stopped doing what you were doing before and now you are slacking."

I stopped doing any more favors. I have learned the hard way.
  3. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you brother. Been doing this 9 years and think I've finally learned.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

It took me a loonnnggggg time to learn that lesson to. I finally got a hard shell around me and there are no special favors. When they start that"can you cut it once a month, lower, blah blah its time to let em go before they stab you first!
  5. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED..and Bless those truly deserving
  6. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Had this lady (a tree hugger) I mowed up yesturday because her son, who usually mows it was at camp. Anyway I get there and the grass is real tall. I've told her on another occasion to call me and not let it go to long without being mowed, anyway I mow it and never adjusted the deck, left it all the way up in transport level 5". After I mowed it she says, Dosen't it need edging? I said you'll be edged I'm not finished yet. Now mind you, they don't edge it, the last time it was edged was when I did it about 30 days ago. So now I proceed to tell her for the last time to call me when it needs mowing at a resonable length, due to unnessessary strain/wear on my equip. when the grass is excessive, if she calls again and it's tall I told her that I will charge her an excessive growth fee, and you won't like that price. More than likely the next time she calls I'll just tell her I can't get to her and maybe she'll take the hint to look elsewhere. Some people have no clue at all.