Lawn solutions ride on aerator lack of speed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 22, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've got a ride on unit with about 75 hours on it. When i push the levers forward to go it will bind up and almost stop. I can release the levers a little and push forward again and it will start to go. I'm not able to aerate at a fast speed, but everything works fine at the slower speeds. So you are constantly "feathering" the levers.

I took it to my exmark dealer and of course it wouldn't do it. We did notice that it was pulling to the left. He wasn't very familiar but said the chains might be binding the transmission. He was going to call Around to other dealers.

I tried to get it out and catch it on a video but ran out if time. Any clue?

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the belt tension. When it goes under load the belt will start slipping.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Are there any hoses? I don't know much about hydraulics. One unfortunate lesson I learned long ago is that kinked hoses are a bad thing. Is the speed normal when in transport mode? Sometimes the kink is in the internal wire reinforcement and the outside rubber cover looks just fine. Naturally any dirt or obstruction that interferes with full flow is a problem.
    Naturally, check the fluid level and the filter. And make sure the fluid is not overheated.
    See the mechanic and repair section.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Going to check the belt tension and change out the filter.

Lack of speed occurs in aeration mode or regular loading. It's an on and off thing but never able to go full speed.

That leads me to think its a belt or possibly a pump. It almost seems like the belt tension becomes so tight it seizes up the pumps or something. That may be unlikely.

I'm not a very good mechanic so I'm limited.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I would contact Rabbitman. He knows these machines better than anybody.

6. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tighten the axle bolts! Center of the rim!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Thanks rabbit. I will be going through the whole machine today trying to find the problem. Gonna check for belts, bolts, fluid, kinks, etc.

You thinking its a few loose bolts on the axle? Hoping its a quick and easy find. These machines are rare around here and getting service is tough.

8. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

One bolt on each axle right on the center of each wheel
    One bolt only! Just crank it down!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. grassmasterswilson

from nc

The right rear wheel is so tight I can't tighten or loosen it.

The left rear wheel is pretty loose and easy to turn. However I'm not seeing a change in the threads on the axle.

What am I doing wrong? Is my wheel axle bolt shot?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. grassmasterswilson

from nc

The nut turns but the bolt doesn't. I marked and counted the threads and it didn't appear to tighten or loosen.
    Posted via Mobile Device