Lawn Spraying & Pest control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawnmasters, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

Our Company has been doing Lawn spraying for 17 years, over the last two years we have dabbled in Structural Pest control. Had an employee who wanted to run that side of the business, so I said "go for it". Of course he bailed and left me with something else to do. Recently, another person has come on to run that side again. So, I am curious, how many of you are doing both types of Pest Control, Lawn, Shrub, Tree and Structural ? How has it worked out for you?

Greg Pierce, CTP
    Lawnmasters

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

one man should have no problem doing that. the overhead is much lower than
    l & o. A spray tank, assorted baits and a duster. Then you branch into rodent prevention etc.

3. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

We started 10 years ago providing L&O, & Structural services. We added termite control 4 years ago. It works well for us. Most of our termite customers were already receiving at least one of our other services. Customers like having one stop shopping with their pest control services.
    We have 4 trucks on the road now and stay quite busy. We have approx. 700 yards, 350 interiors, plus our termite customers. All this within a 20 mile radius. We are in a very fast growing area, which makes things very nice.

4. Lawnmasters

Greg, Thanks for the input on your Company. I too, believe in the one stop shop idea. My Landscape Maintenance and Design/Build Business was built on that idea. There is no reason for our customers to call on anyone else, we can do it for them. However....... Not if you can't keep enough help to handle all of the work. For the last three years I have gotten burned out on employees. Constantly fighting the problem. Can't keep enough, doesn't matter what you pay them, or how you treat them. I have been through it all, paid a ton, paid a little, treat them like they are the owner and treat them like they are the usual typical employee they are. Doesn't seem to matter. So, I am scaling back to concentrate on Chemical apps. I have 3 very good, dedicated employees, with myself and them, we will just do what we can, I can reduce overhead and get profits up. Less stress, headaches, etc. Anyway, that's the plan. I was curious if anyone else out here is doing both the services, T&O, along with Structural Pest Control.
    Thanks,
    Greg Pierce, CTP

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnmasters

I also build and Business on the ONE STOP SHOPPING theory. Mowing, trimming, Pest inside and out as well as irrigation. Customer like the One Guy for everything and word of mouth brings in a lot of business.

I also reached a point in my life age 65, where the stress of dealing with everything from growing the plants to install and maintenance was more than I cared to deal with. I sold out and now only do pest control on a part time bases. I still kept my Skid Steer and big trucks to do smaller jobs and in most cases I just sub for another contractor.

But to answer your question about General Household Pest, Yes it is a great margin with a good tech. Call backs will kill you with a poor tech. By having the whole package including Lawn and shrubs you can get a good barrier treatment and have very little inside problems. Newer chemical have made much of inside pest control child's play. I don't do Termite any more because the insurance and other hassles aren't worth it to me. But termite is big bucks

6. Lawnmasters

Ric, thanks for the input. Do you have any techs. now, or just doing it yourself? I have One good Pest Control Tech. Woman, very outgoing personality, 5 years experience with our area's largest Company. Got tired of not making enough money there after running their largest route. Is actually a Licensed Applicator and wanted to branch out on her own, couldn't swing the Insurance and Bond issue though. It will be a good match for me I think. I have enjoyed the Spraying part of the business more than the other parts and I think I will like getting back to it. Nice to see the immediate results of clearing out a weedy lawn and greening it up.
    Greg Pierce, CTP

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnmaster

I am a one Man Band and loving it for the time being. If she is good and has the selling skills I suggest you make her a partnership deal. Let her make money and be a team player for up sells of your other services. You are only as good as your help.

I stay away from Termite because of High insurance and liability costs. Plus there are more state fines on termites than any other area of pest control. Pre-treat end of the business is so competitive it is not worth trying to compete. The money in termites is with the hassles of curative treatment. However Monitoring stations are a great buck that the pre-treat guys go after hot and heavy to make up for the money they lose pre-treating.

8. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

dont forget inside and outside pc is 2 seperate liscences

9. Lawnmasters

Olive, Thanks for the reminder...But after being in business for 17 years, and being certified and Licensed in HLT and GRI, I do know that. I do see that there are lot's of people posting basic questions here that need help though.