1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Sprinkler Rotors and Spray Heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Sprinkler Buddy, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I know we have many irrigation guys here on this forum that know much more than I.

In your opinion, which manufacture offers the homeowners across the USA the best sprinkler heads that are readily available to them in the "Big Box Stores"?

Here in Florida, I noticed in the past few years Home Depot started carrying Hunter Heads. Which in years past could only be purchased at a professional irrigation supply store around here. It's to my knowledge that they aren't of the same quality as the ones many professionals install when first having their Hunter sprinkler system installed. Is that true?

Lowe's a few years back started carrying K-Rain heads. Which I was told have the same mechanism in them as the Hunter heads. K-Rain split off from Hunter once their contract had expired and went into business for themselves.

Can any of you shed some light on this matter? I'm sure the American people would appreciate it as would I.

Hunter, Rain Bird, Orbit, and K-Rain are often the brands I physically see in our Big Box Stores. Is that the case where you live?
  2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry buddy, i drive 100 mile turnaround to either Normac or Ewing and i liue 7 miles from a professional irrigation supply house. My loyalty has been earned by these companies.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Sprinkler Buddy

from Florida

Since I started being online a few years back, I have heard good things about Ewing. Normac, I haven't heard of.
  4. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

We only buy from Ewing. As for parts we use:

Rotors- Hunter I20
    Pop-ups- Toro
    Valves- WeatherMatic
    Timers- Rainmaster
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I like ewing, they sit in a/c alot, but they're funny.

Coffees cold (or maybe i was just hot) , but they call me mister, and im no mister.....

Good people.

I like the idea,
    With those i could see the heads with my mower and would quit breaking those *%$ non s-Ewing-jointed heads.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on Ewing. I also deal with some Ag suppliers. Big box stores in almost all cases, particularly when we are talking irrigation heads, sells crap. They are the biggest perpetrators of our throw away society.
  7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

are you serious?

maybe i misread, but you're asking me which of the HD or Lowe's line of heads are the best? they're all crap, despite being made by reputable manufactures.
    go to a local supply house and support our industry. and if you cant do that call a contractor that can.

good luck donuts
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo! When I first started out and went for parts, the sign on the branch door said, "to the trade only".Had to show proof of a contractor's license, liability insurance and bond. I never bought part one from a big box, they suck. :hammerhead:
  9. Sprinkler Buddy

from Florida

How much more do the professional grade heads run on average compared to their lesser equals?
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

That's not the point. Most of us can spot junk, and tell the would-be client that they are welcome to pay us for the labor and go back to the big box for warranty.