Lawn Sprinkler Technician Perils of Duty

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Ha Ha....

Went to drain a system today and lookie what was waiting for me...the pics suck because I'm too chicken to get out of the truck at 50 feet from this mother and cubs...you can just "bearly" make out the mom next to the tree....biggest bear I've seen this year, I'm guessing her at 400-450 lbs....she had 2 cubs w/ her that had just gone in the back yard as I retreated to my truck to take this picture....

I have seen 14 bears in the last week.....bad winter coming I do believe....

bears 001.jpg

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say that trumps finding a mouse or squirrel in a valve box.

pg

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

That is one I haven't seen :laugh:

4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

That's why I always carry a porterhouse in my van. it's a service tech's responsibility to come to every account prepared to do the job.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

So they got a "bare bones" draining? :)

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I thought we had it bad with Scorpions, Black Widows and Rattlesnakes. Could you get a little closer next time. My little one loves bears and for some reason the personal shots on the side of someones home are much better than the "professional" ones in the wild.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My favorite was about 6 years ago. We went to a house and saw a deer by the RP and valve boxes. Then noticed 2 little things in the grass moving. She had just given birth!! She was licking them off to clean them, and they eventually tried standing and walking. We sat there for about an hour watching all this. I took a few pics but they were with a disposable camera. I'll try to dig up the photos somewhere and scan and post. But I'm not sure I will find them. It was pretty cool.

8. When I get the chance I will post the pics of the bear cub leaning on my wheelbarrel.....at my house after leaving my garage and eating the dog food....20 feet away with a camera while mom stood 100 yards off wondering what the frig this guy with the camera was doing....

I would rather find a bear this way than the baby rattlesnake dens I used to find in valve boxes in Scottsdale.......that will make a woman out of you in a hurry.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still waiting for the time I see a mountain lion while on a jobsite. Hopefully I have another set of shorts in the truck at the time.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Why do people in Colorado need irrigation when they live in the land of Bambi and Yogi? :)