1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn strikes back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jul 13, 2006.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Well I'm always stressing safety to people and I should have known the importance of proper eye protection.

I was in a hurry due to rain and forgot my glasses.

My poor eye. you can see it hit my nose first and the the corner.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

That sure looks like it hurt. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I said to myself " I can do one:cry: lawn without them on" YA RIGHT.Hope you get better soon buddy!!:)
  3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

never fails. The one time we don't use the protection...and wam!
  4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

damn ryan. the women aint goin think youre so hot, now.
  5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same thing last summer. I had to go to the doctor and they said I came within less than 1mm of losing vision in that eye. I never do a lawn w/o safety glasses now. I was in a hurry the time it happened to me too. Let this be a lesson and warning to all.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing happenned to me but not nearly as bad, I too will not weed wack without eye protection. Last week I was trying out holding the trimmer upside down so I could to a better job edging beds with it and I got a cut on my nose.*newcanadaflag*\

Pink eye is better than mad cow.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you would have just started out not wearing eye protection from the very beginning, your eye reflexes would be so fast that you don't have to worry anymore.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I was thinking about going to the docters yesterday when it happened, but it stopped hurting and I could see fine.

If it didn't hit my nose first im sure I would be in trouble.
  9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it has happened a few times until i wised up, with safety equipment for trimmers, pants and long shirts are a must too, it only took me getting a horrible case of poision ivy twice, and now i no longer wear shorts to mow, and i vring a long sleeved shirt, or vest to put on while i am trimming.
  10. PastyWhite

PastyWhite LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL

I always wear safety glasses. My buddy took a piece of grass in the eye doing it a couple of weeks ago. His eye was swollen shut. He had to go to the eye doctor 3 or 4 times to get all of the mucus and grass out of his eyes.