Lawn Striper for Mini Fastrak 36"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Fooltergeist, May 5, 2005.

1. Fooltergeist

Fooltergeist LawnSite Member

They delivered my Hustler Mini Fastrak 36" w/ the Kohler Courage 15 hp engine last night and since I'm not scheduled to mow my lawn until the weekend after next, I can't post my impressions until then. Although since I bought this sight unseen, relying mainly on information gleaned from this forum, I noticed the unit was a little noisy, and I thought I heard the hydro transmission groan or hiss when the driver made a zero turn on my driveway. Is this normal?

Meanwhile, I've always wanted a striping kit for my next mower, and since this model does not have a striping kit, I was thinking of getting one of those roller striping kits like the one being sold at www.lawnstriper.com. Since this rolling striper has to be towed, I was wondering if the Mini Fastrak is strong enough to pull this thing around while mowing at the same time. What is the towing capacity of this model in terms of maximum tongue weight and maximum load? Will it not shorten the life of the Mini Fastrak, especially the fragile/delicate EZT integrated hydro transmission that this thing has, at least in comparison with the IZT unit? And will it void the warranty? And for $89, am I not better off just waiting for Hustler to sell a striping kit for this model in the future?

Also, the document that came with the unit said it has a 2 year residential warranty but the Hustler website says its 3 years. I wonder which one is correct and how do I communicate this to the dealer or to Hustler?

Thanks for any reply.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The noise from the hydros is normal, it will be louder when the unit is cold, quiets right down once the oil is warmed up.
    As for a stripe kit, I am not aware of one coming anytime in the real near future, so if you were to make one yourself or buy aftermarket you would be in good shape.
    A stripe kit is not going to put any stress on the drive system on the unit.
    I do not know the rating on towing or tongue weight on the Mini FasTrak, I will post the info when it is given to me.
    If your unit was purchased on or after January 1st 2005, your warranty is 3 years, it is registered in our system that way, just keep your sales receipt, you will be fine.

Pj

3. zgman

zgman LawnSite Member
    from va

I don't know how well the lawnstriper works, but just to give you another option (and more expensive), you can check out http://www.bigleaguelawns.com/

I've never used the Lawnstriper, but it looks to work better on riding mowers, I wouldn't try a zero turn with it. Just my opinion.