Lawn Stripers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Turtle Creek Lawn Care, May 19, 2007.

1. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hi, I was wondering what type of lawn stripers are best to use, to get the best stripe.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Chain kit will be the easiest and cheapest to make.... Roller will make the best stripes, it also works as a rear anti scalp. At least thats what mine does..

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

C3 turf, which is what is in Ohio is the easiest to "stripe".
    The cheapest way to make a "striping kit" is to purchase implement belt material from your local tractor supply or ag dealer and mount on the rear of the deck.
    You want the belt material dragging approximately 1/2" to 3/4" below the deck as measured on a hard surface like your driveway or sidewalk.
    Any longer and you run the risk of the belt material being chewed on by the blades when you back up with the blades turning.

4. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

allot of it depends on the particular mower than you have. Like the others mentioned their are some cheap and easy ways of fabricating one. Scag and checkmate make rollers that track behind the rear wheels providing a more uniform stripe but the units are more vunerable when backing up. I haven't had any issues with mine but you could see where someone might if they are not careful.

Exmark and Hustler have a roller that rides on the rear of the deck and acts like a big anti-scalp roller as well. These units would be my choice as the roller is protected and gets up off the turf when you raise the deck.

-TAZ

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info!
    Ryan

7. Jasonn B

Jasonn B LawnSite Member
    from USA

Anyone else installed checkmate striper?

8. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

i have the factory plastic striper on my 21" toro self pace, Was wondering if I were to weigh it down or something if it would produce better stripes? If so what would you guys recommend to do it with and how?

9. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i tried that with my craftsman 21" by putting two long thick screw like objects in the ends of the plastic striper.

10. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

Did it help?