1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn stripes whats the deal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slingshot, Jul 17, 2000.

1. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

at least you understood it kirby
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What you are talking about is the "checkerboard or crosshatch" look. Maybe on the second cut, some of the grass blades stay pushed over from the first cut.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Lawrence, we use the Walker and the Toro wbh on soccer fields, the Walker stripes better by far. The Toro still looks good but the Walker is more noticable. We have been getting lots of comments about the way the fields look now as compared the last companies that looked after them. They have always been cut with tractor style mowers, you know, around and around they go. We also stripe the ball diamonds and from the stands they look really good. We try to cut it a different way each week, I gotta get my wife to take some more pics so I can get them scanned. Been so busy this year we never seem to get time for that.
  4. TURF Editor

TURF Editor LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

BTW -- I did an article about how they stripe Major League Baseball diamonds a few years ago (in a different, now defunct magazine).<p>They do it with rollers -- not mowers.<p>David<br>TURF Magazine
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Hey David, why don't you write up a new one. It'll give me something to read in your mag besides articles about ponds turning green and golf courses.
  6. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

Being old, (I took the test, I am older then dirt.) I have seen a few things come and go. I predict that in the next 10 years you will see articals on how to prevent that awfull striping that some mowers do. It will be fun to watch.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The baseball fields are done with both mowing AND rolling. We cut in four different directions, but we use the same lines evry time we cut in that direction. We do two borderlines out and the third one going the opposite direction. Consistantly using this formula assures us that we'll never lose our lines for instance if the grass gor to long and we couldn't see a particular direction. After we start cutting on it, and the lines are right on, then that contrast comes right back again. The only problem is, that now that we're also cutting with Exmarks, we have to do three lines from the building or road, then go back down the third row in the opposite direction. I guess that's what we get for running mowers that discharge 20 ft.
  8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Theres a guy thats coming out with a new roller type striping kit for exmarks. I'll try to put the pics he gave me up on my site today and I'll put a link to his webpage there too. If not, you can e-mail me and I'll give you his e-mail address.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti