Lawn Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by craigs lawncare, Aug 9, 2005.

1. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well, its been a while since I last posted here, but I have been wanting to play around with the idea of defining my lawn stripes and I thought I would ask the question to you guys… and gals in hopes that some of you out there would have an answer for me.

I have a Gravely 260Z (8 years old) with a 60 inch deck.
    A year or maybe two ago I bought an attachment off of this site through a power buy that is made to stripe lawns. It is a chain system made by Trurflex. It basically rides behind my mower, between the rear wheels and lays over the grass for a pretty nice stripe. It has been very durable and definitely has added to the quality of my stripes in my lawn.
    What I would like to improve on is the crispness of the edge of the stripe.
    I have seen where some of your guys simply reversed your wheels so they offset out farther towards the edge of the deck, but the way my rims are, this would do nothing but move the tires inward and defeat the purpose.
    Have any of your guys ever bought wider rear wheels that stick out further for this purpose.
    I have been considering it.

2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

mount a roller to the back of the deck between the anti-scalp wheels.
  3. craigs lawncare

Does anyone make such a devise?
    I have seen them for John Deer, X-Mark, Toro and Scag, but not Gravely. Gravely makes a flap system that mounts on the deck and lays the grass over. It does work fine, but does not last.
    My brother has a John Deer Z with a roller on the back of his deck but I don't think it stripes as good as what I have right now. :)

If I could find rims to fit my Gravely 260Z that would extend the rear wheels out about 3 or 4 more inches, I think that would work great. While the tires would not be even with the edge of the deck, it would still improve and define the stripe with-out having to worry about clipping things with the rear wheels.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

5. craigs lawncare

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
    mcwlandscaping, looks like those stripers for big league lawns mow in between the rear tires like my chains do.
    The yorksheet link shows a roller mounted where the rear caster would be. I don't have the room between my rear wheels and the deck to mount a device like that.
    Currently my Turflex chains do a nice job. I just would like a way to make the borders of my stripes more defined. Presently, they have a soft look to them. The edges are not as crisp as they could be.
    I am somewhat of a perfectionist and if I can make my stripes better, I want to.
    Right now, I think extending out my rear wheels so they are closer to the edge of the deck is the best option. Unless some else has an idea.
    Perhaps someone knows of a good place to purchase wider rims that would fit my gravely?

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Save yourself a couple of hundred $.

Type 1080 in the "find" area.

Buy a conveyor roller that will fit nicely between your scalp rollers (or some other good spot).

Mount it with 1/4" thick steel bar, drill the hex ends of the roller for a small clip or cotter pin. Use a couple of washers.

Total cost is around $35 and it works great.
  7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member