Lawn Stripes

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JawnsLawns, Sep 24, 2006.

1. JawnsLawns

JawnsLawns LawnSite Member

I made a striper today and tested it out on my own lawn. This is a 2 1/2 cut cause Im aerating tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

good stripes get some pics up of the striper and how you made it.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Cool, How heavy is it-- those are good for the first time.

4. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Those have a nice contrast. Show us how you made it.

5. JawnsLawns

1 piece of 2 1/2 inch pipe cut to size of deck( or space between wheels)
    [​IMG]
    2 of each shown. The "arm" piece extends up to 9 inches. I have mine set at the minimum.
    [​IMG]
    2 inline skate wheels with bearings.
    [​IMG]
    Threaded bolt that is 1-2 inches longer than pipe.
    [​IMG]
    Shave the uerathane wheel to fit flush into the pipe. Place the long threaded bolt through the wheel. Fill pipe with concrete and place the other wheel on the other end. ( Before the concrete sets, spin the wheel to make sure your bearings spin. the wheels are not necessary, I put them on basically to keep the concrete inside the pipe. Im sure if you expose the ends of the pipe with concrete it may gradually break apart. )
    remove the flap if you have one or drill 2 pilot holes. The holes dont have to be perfect because the arms adjust. I would make sure you are far enough away from the blade. Then connect your pieces. Make sure you use lockwashers and lock bolts with rubber bushings so they do not vibrate off.
    [​IMG]
    Extend the arm piece so it doesnt rub on the roller
    [​IMG]
    Here is the finished product. All the parts cost under $10 ( I had the pipe and wheels, and the wheels are not necessary because the roller arms are bigger than the bolt which allows the roller to spin and not drag )
    [​IMG]

6. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

That setup looks good. Do the rollers interfere with your walking?

7. JawnsLawns

Suprisingly they dont. My bag sticks out farther than the roller. The only problem so far is backing the mower up while on a semi steep incline ( inclining sideways ), sometimes the coroner of the roller digs into the ground. Ive yet to run the roller over while backing up but as a precautionary I see that it can happen if the roller digs into the ground.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice setup, and when you start mowing at 3..3 1/2 inchs or so, I can envision awesome stripes.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

looks great, and ive found that the striping effect is more impressive with a longer lenght of grass it bends more and reflects the light more...

one of the best homemade setups ive seen....:clapping:

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I saw this thread before you posted a pic and description of the setup, but I could tell that it was something pretty heavy - those are well-defined stripes.