Lawn Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garyslawn, Feb 27, 2003.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I have ask the dealers and cannot get an answer. Why do some mowers make stripes and others do not?

2. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

Optional striping kits. For the commercial walk behind and Z rider mowers many of the manufactures make them. If you want something for a 21, I just got one of these. http://www.inventtek.com Have not tried it yet, it's a little more bulky than it looks. I'll let you know what i think after I try it.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you have not asked the right dealer. some mowers stripe and some don't. it is a function of the mower blades, deck pitch, the ability of the mower to cause the grass to lean toward the direction of travel and mowing a back and forth pattern.

assuming that your mower is one that will stripe, it is the alternating back and forth pattern that shows the light and dark contrast. the contrast is a result of one row being laid away from your point of vision and the next row being laid toward your point of vision.

I have a lesco 48 and it stripes very nicely. some mowers need an accessory to cause the stripe but my lesco does not.

and I get tickled hearing people on here talk about striping with a 21 inch mower. if you got time to try to make a living with a 21 inch mower and you are worried about stripes, IMHO--you got way too much time on your hands or you can live real cheap.

GEO

4. garyslawn

from NE Ohio

Thanks George. I use 5, 52 in Lescos and love the mowers. I have seen some that did not stripe and always what about them would not stripe.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Geogunn beat me to the punch. The reason he has outlined are the reasons. I would suggest that you find other "dealers" to talk with. This is a very basic question (no offense intended) and if they can't answer this I would be concerned what else they will be telling you.

Gravely_Man

6. garyslawn

from NE Ohio

Gravel_Man; Small offense taken. The Lesco dealer is one of them. I understand all the princapals and you can get a roller on an exmark. I also own a 61" Grasshopper. The deck looks about like a Lesco mower but it does not stripe nearly as well.:)

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Garyslawn, I truly did not mean to offend you in the least. We all have questions and that is one of the reasons for this site. I am not trying to start a war but if your Lesco dealer cannot give you this info I would talk with someone else there that is a little more knowledgeable. Best of luck to you and welcome to the site.

Gravely_Man

8. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

Geo,

Not everywhere in the US has these Southern plantation lawns that cost more than your food bill to maintain. Out West, we don't have too many giant lawns that are maintained in a professional way. Most residential is stuff that is done with a 21. Even a lot of commercial stuff would be done that way. My biggest lawn right now is probably not even 2500 sq ft. Although I do plan to get a 32 or 36.

I like the stripes, and a 21 will stripe a bit even without a roller but as you can see on the website, the stripes that a 21 can do look good.

I get tickled when people on this site seem to be so wrapped up in what they are doing and thinking that they think that's all there is out there. I seem to see that a lot on this site in a lot of different ways.

It's true I don't get paid a lot per customer which is why I am trying to differentiate my services from the mow+ blow and go guys. Maybe I just work more efficiently than what your used to. But you could be right.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hey ORGANIX--I see your point about the market thing. here in GODS country we are mostly rural and some of the homes around here have childrens sand boxes of close to 2500 sq ft.:eek: .

my comment about 21 inchers was really not meant to be about LCO's that have the market for that size mower but more about person's that just hang out here with their 21's and really aren't in the biz.

have a great day!

GEO

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The Grasshopper should stripe just fine. Some of the loudest stripes I've ever seen is on one of the forums and it's done with a GrassHopper. It sounds to me like it might could use a little adjustment.