1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lawn stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acorn, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

lawn stripes bug me. Now before you get your panties all in a bunch... this is just my opinion and was wondering if anyone shared it. Stripes seem to take away from the look of the grass and surrounding landscape. They be blinding at times and cover up the actual health of the lawn. Why is the quality of a cut based on shades of light and darker green in straight lines? Don't get me wrong I try to get the best lines I can too because it looks more professional and seems to impress the customer but why is it so important? I would like to see a uniform colour rather than be blinded by stripes. To at least mix it up I sometimes make circles instead of stripes. This can cut down some time turning at the end of each stripe. Looks good too. Just my opinion
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You do Circles On My property's They Will Come after You With a Broom!!
  3. rbruchwalski

rbruchwalski LawnSite Member

Personally I like the stripes, especially if i can do them diagonally. I think it just looks classy and also makes the lawn stand out more..:D
  4. fairway

fairway LawnSite Member

I think it is faster to strip a lawn then to do circles.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that the fact that there are light and dark shows that time was taking to provide a detailed looking lawn. I also think of a lawn as a canvas. You are painting a picture for the customer and others around them. Would you want a canvas to be one color, or multi colors? That is how I have always looked at it. I think also the fact that you can take a green lawn and make it different shades of green also shows quality and talent.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

You would love St, Augustine grass. You can run perfect lines and somedays not see a single variance in colors. Come on down to Florida and mow around on some.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You do Circles On My property I Will Come after You With a Shovel!!
  8. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I did a bulls-eye in this one customers back yard once and he loved it. He is also in the Mafia, so maybe that had something to do with it!
  9. Acorn

Acorn LawnSite Member

you of all people in this room I thought would be open to new ideas what with all those mechanical inventions alternations. Open your mind further and see that your reality made up from your own perception. What if circles were the only thing people ever did and I suggested doing straight lines? Your shovel response would be the same I'm sure.;)

I'm just sitting here waiting for the 6" of new snow to melt getting envious of you guys actually cutting grass already. I won't be doing that for at least a month.

Keep up those inventions and remember a mind is like a parachute...it only works when it's open
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I hate stripes too......,...