Lawn striping and blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JLL25, Dec 29, 2005.

1. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Just curious what others do when mowing a lawn, do you run the edge of your deck an inch or so over? And when you are done what kind of path do you take back to the trailer? I usually mow in a way that I finish closest to where I am parked, but sometimes if my turn arounds are noticeable I will run around the perimeter to hide them.

And your blades, do you sharpen them to a razors edge? How often? We sharpen once a week and I usually am the one doing it so I do it to a razors edge.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

you dont want your blades razor sharp that makes them dull very fast look at a new set that is how you should sharpen them. I tried the razor sharp thing and then the sharp like new both.better results when not razor sharpcleaner cut for longer into the week. still sharpen the once a week just not to a razor

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

4. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the site I guess, but I wasnt actually asking for "how" to stripe. I suppose I should have worded differently. My question was how far over do you guys let your deck hang over your last stripe? I know its a newbie kind of question but I dont have any other interaction with lawncare guys but my own, and I trained myself.

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Experiment and see what looks best. I do bare minimum and try to keep tires from going over the same area.

6. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

I usually give about 4 or 5 inches just in case I hit a rut or a root and it throws my direction off a little