Lawn Striping do you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dynamic, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

Does any of you provide or do lawn striping for your customers. If so do you charge extra for this service? Is it give you an edge over others? Is it hard to do on zero turn mowers? Postive and negative?

2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

most ztr's do it automatically. Just keep your lines straight and everything looks nice.

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

i think thats partially true, yet my 1500z ferris stripes a ton nicer with its "stripe kit" than my 1000z does without one.

My lawns usually look pretty nice compared to others, but again most around my area do have stripe kits of some nature. I dont charge extra for it since its not a huge thing to do, doenst take more of my time. If they're anal about "how" its stripped, then yeah ill charge a fee for it.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Bermuda doesnt stripe too well...neither do weeds! Both of which makes up a majority of my cutting.

If I could stripe I probably would though...looks real nice!:usflag:

5. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I do the sptriping, but do not charge an extra fee. It might take 5 minutes more of my time but you have to satisfy a customer with out making them go broke.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like it, not many do it here, so it makes my lawns stand out... or so I think. I had a client, I would spend a little extra time laying really nice stripes, perfect diagonals. I asked her what she thought about it after I had been doing it for months - She hadn't ever noticed.:laugh::laugh:

7. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

For as long as I can remember I have been attracted to stripes. I stripe for 1. Fewer ruts 2. Less burning (both of which I can market as "turf management rather than just grass cutting" and can set me apart from others at the point of sale) and 3. Personal satisfaction. Like ramairfreak said, if they're not anal about it, it's free. I use a ztr w/ a stripe kit and it works pretty well, but even w/o a stripe kit it earned its pay. If by "hard" you are referring to making straight lines using the lever controls- it really isn't bad after you get a day or two on the machine.

8. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I always stripe all my lawns. When I say stripe I dont mean just having lines in them I mean dark, deep, and straight stripes. I also think that striping makes a lawn easier to mow because anyone can follow your pattern, they just mow the stripes from the previous week. I heard of a company that charged extra for striping, they called it turfscaping and claimed that they had a patent on it. I thought that they were ridiculous. This company also mowed all these weird circle patterns and stuff, to me it looked stupid. It actually looked like cropcircles on a lawn.:hammerhead:

9. its hard not to stripe bluegrass. Around here it goes without saying people want thier yard to look like wrigley (as far as im concerned u.s. cellular field doesnt exist) Cubs!:weightlifter:Cubs!

10. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I do not charge to stripe. It does not take realy any longer and it has got me more business. and these are the customers I want you know the ones who want the extras. But of course I also bag all lawns and edge without extra cost. the better service you give the more you get away with chargeing more.:)