1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn striping with my Cat MTL

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by bobcat_ron, Mar 21, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That stupid John Deere GT275 must be having a bad day, I have to do some work on it, so I had to mow the field with "Plan B" - Caterpillar 247B2 with a 60" Flail mower.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  2. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

hmmm do you mow in the same direction every week? I think i see some rutting.....HAHA WELL DONE :weightlifter:
  3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I love it!!! How long did that take you? Do you know your speed?
  4. bobcat_ron

3/4 of an acre in 20 minutes at about 3.5 mp/h, and the field was soaking wet, you can hear the water squishing around as you walk over it, so the ASV U/C just floats over it!
  5. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

So if that failed whay would be plan C? HAHA
  6. bobcat_ron

Plan C is call in the goats from down the road.
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

That's amazing , cannot beat the CAT/ASV tracked undercarriage 3.7PSI? no more pressure than a human. Considering the operating weight of the machine, and how wet the ground was, I'm sure a large ZTR could do not better, maybe worse.
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

They truly are awesome machines. My 257B goes out every day (even pushing snow in the winter) and my older Bobcat 773 is parked most of the time now. Did you have engine problems with your 247-our first one kept blowing smoke and once it caught fire. Cat eventually replaced the entire unit after the 30th service call, and threw in a few options we forgot to purchase the first time for the hassle. Ended up, a small crack in the block would expand during longer usage, and the coolant would dump into it. Since then, all is well and they worked out all the bugs.
  9. bobcat_ron

I am finding that I need to check the oil more often, and it does smoke a little when it's cooled down, I'll have to look deeper into that.
  10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Keep a close eye on it-especially after a full days use. Our original unit was an 05-CAT admitted it was defective, and I think they actually recalled them. Check with your CAT dealer too.