Lawn Striping - Words in the Pattern (HELP)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SummitLawns, Apr 21, 2012.

1. SummitLawns

SummitLawns LawnSite Member

I have a private Christian school that we are taking care of here, and I discussed with the principal a cool concept for a graduation picture. We stripe the property really well, and the idea came to engrave the school's initials 'CVA' into the lawn.

The class would be standing in their gowns in front of the school and the 'CVA' would be striped or engraved into the lawn.

The best way I can think of to do this is to create plywood stencils of the letters, and after mowing, line up the stencils just right and use trimmers to cut the letters low into the ground. Not scalp to dirt, but just cut it an 1-1.5" lower than the 3" we already cut at to try and make it noticeable. The picture would be taken from a ladder so you would be looking at a downward angle at the group.

Has anyone ever tried this and does it work? Are there any better ideas out there?

2. BleedingGreen

BleedingGreen LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can also use grass paint.
  4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing as Richard. Paint it on, that way no damage will/could be done to the turf from cutting too short.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Water, a hose and a broom. No cutting shorter. Just mow the property like normal, stake out the area using flag/markers so the letters are to your liking. Then use the hose to bend the grass in the desired direction to give the shade you are looking for. Use the broom to help keep the grass laying down right and aid in the striping effect.

Here's how it turns out...

American flag lawn 3.jpg
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

7. mwlawns

mwlawns LawnSite Member

Thats slick, I like that.
  8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think somebody needs to do a batman logo, that would be funny. :laugh:

If anyone tries this please... PLEASE take pictures for all of us here at lawnsite.
  9. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I remember reading an article about a guy who was onthe grounds crew for an MLB team. He said he was going to put scooby doo in his own lawn for his daughter. He said he used a hose and a squeegie.
  10. javelin377

javelin377 LawnSite Member

That is awesome.
    Posted via Mobile Device