Lawn striping

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by OwnAccord, Aug 2, 2007.

1. OwnAccord

OwnAccord LawnSite Member

I am new to mowing and use a 32" walk behind. I am not getting many stripes when mowing....

I currently have the mower set up for mulching. Will I get better results if I use the side discharge?

I do not have a striping/roller attached to the mower but I would still expect to get stripes like so many of the other commercial mowers that I am seeing.

Thanks for any help

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Are you running the rear of the deck 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher then front. I am not 100% convinced this helps, but have read that it does.

3. OwnAccord

I am running 1/2 inch higher in the back

4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

How high are you mowing? That can make a huge difference. Tall grass usually stripes better than really short grass.

5. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

What type of grass are you cutting? The type of grass and the quality of turf makes the biggest difference. My 34" stripes some yards beautifully, but on others it just leaves ugly tire marks.

6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

The way it seems that if you want stripes like a baseball field you have to have some sort of stripe kit. There are some easy ways to make some homemade kits or you can get a roller. Some people on here have told me that you don't need a stripe kit to have stripes, this may be true for some, but on my lawn you definitely need a kit, I have also tried to use the same pattern every cut and have learned to cut a little wider which has made a big difference.

7. DeepMudRancher

DeepMudRancher LawnSite Member

haha, does your yard not burn if you mow the same way every time eagle?!??

If you double cut green grass at 3.5, you should get good stripes, i wouldnt do a striping kit, big waste of money i think, and dont see how it could be good for
    the grass. i use the sulky as a stripe kit...haha

8. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I made my striper for about $3. Don't think that was a big waste of money either. Works great and produces the best stripes in the neighborhood. Matter of fact, I have made three other stripers for my brothers and father-in-law and they work great.

9. OwnAccord

striper23, can you tell me how you made a striper? What materials did you use? thanks for any details

10. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I will try to post some pix of my 21" W.B. mower set up later tonight. Very easy to make and install and doesn't cost but a couple of dollars........