Lawn striping

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hertelbr, Nov 14, 2001.

1. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

I think everybodies been there. I had the opportunity two years ago. I was apply the second to last round and mistakenly forgot to open the third hole after the perimeter on my lesco push spreader. When I came back in early November for their last round I was suprised to see a very streaked lawn. My first thought was sure hope we get a good snow covering this winter. What I ended up doing was spraying a chelated iron formula to the lawn, within two weeks the streeks were gone and only lush green remained into the spring. I have used liquid iron applications during the growing season and had huge results in less then 24 hours. One PRECAUTION do NOT apply when lawn is frozen or when a frost is expected within the time iron is on leaf surface, it will turn your green striped lawn into a black lawn!!

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Been there, recently fpr that matter. Felt like a turd in a punchbowl.

I had time to put on some quick release nitrogen on the streaked spots. The iron sounds good but I have never tried it. What concentration do you use?

3. hertelbr

hertelbr LawnSite Member

I use Lesco chelated iron at the high rate I think it is 7 or 9 oz/1000. It does stain clothes, equipment, concrete and just about anything else it comes in contact with at that rate. But, if it is instant results you are looking for try it. It is especially helpful when you have a prospective customer you really want to impress. I had a school system call me about their varsity baseball diamond that was three years old and had never greened up. It was solid yellow with leaf spot and rust and lots of clover that the current lawn care company said would take "a couple of years to get rid of" (hum I wonder what kind of broadleaf control they are using) Anyway, I sprayed the lawn with broadleaf control, iron, 1 # of N, and 1/2 # of K. I also sprayed a test plot outside the field to monitor the color difference. The next day I went back and saw a major change in the test plot. One week after application I met with the school superintendant and walked up to their old 'yellow' baseball diamond that was now GREEN, after that he signed contracts for the soccer field and varsity football field, for fall applications. Even though I cheated a little bit I am a shoe in for the whole district next year as the superintendant lost faith in the old contractor. Who said you had to play fair. If the contractor would have been applying the 5 rounds per year like he was contracted to do the field would not have been in such poor shape. as the soil sample came back with no abnormalities.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rust Erase , Stain Remove and several other product will remove rust from cemet. Mix it 1-1 with water and back pack it on oversprayed areas. You don't even have to rinse it off and it will not hurt plants. This suff is also great on aluim down spouts screen doors rain guder etc any painted Aluim surface.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hertelbr

Sorry I just don't understand what is unfair about spraying FE. You used you knowledge to apply a product that brough about a desired response. What is so unfair about that. Your competitor was either spraying water or didn't have your knowledge. Is It unfair to use you brain?? Is it unfair to use you education??

If the test plot has as much wear as the field I would also get a tissue sample to the lab.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Hertelbr, I'll be trying this next season as I want to get the apps going more. Is Ferromec on the same lines as Lesco or is it different? The only thing I have sprayed is Millennium and Trimec for broadleaf control. I would like to have the iron as an option. One more question about the green to the black lawn. Does this do actual damamge to the blade or is it a cosmetic problem? I am not planning on spraying until the time is right but I would like to know if the iron destroys the grass if it freezes. Thanks.

Ric, Thanks for the info also. I'm not the neatest guy all the time and I would have to get some of this before I start.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mow Ed

Hold your wand low and try to body shield as you do a permiter out line. This can help the over spray.

I have turned more than one lawn black from Fe. New growth comes out green and first time you cut the lawn will look good again. Fe can be toxic to the soil so don't over apply. Fe also locks or becomes unavable to plants in soil with pH above 4 Try adding 21-0-0 nh4sulfate at least 17 lb per 100 gal or greater to your tank mix. This mix really greens up turf to a dark green color.
    As the old saying goes " Try it you'll like it."

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Ric,
    Is that good for Kentucky Blue/RedFescue/Rye blends that I cut or do I have to look at different formulations.
    I appreciate this very much.
    What is the definition of "overapply"?
    I'm not neing a smart a$$, it is a valid question. Should I use a colorant and make 1 pass or what do you suggest? Is this with a chemlawn type gun or a small backpack nozzle or something else?
    Also what "brand Name" is tha nitrogen sulfate found?

thanks.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mow Ed

I use a wand with a flat tip. I will hold the wand about 8" from the Turf to help stop drift. I spray at 50 PSI with 2 GPM or 2.5 mintes/M This is slow. I over lap 50% each pass. Becuase Fla. is the bug capital of America I apply 5 gal/m finished product. Also St. Aug looks like your crab grass. Heavy mat and needs a lot of water to get in. Therefore I am not doing a true folar app and get a lot of run off which is then taken up by the roots.

You don't need that much water /M. Liguid Fe comes in different A.I. so the rate will be on the lable more than likely about 4oz/m low to 8oz/M high rate. 21-0-0 nh4sulfate is a compound of elements and all brands are the same. Most are packaged in 51 lb bags to be used as surfactant in a 300 gal tank.

Hey I will Finish post later a friend just stopped by

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mow Ed

Fe will work on fescue etc.

Overappling depends on the soil. In Fla. we have sand It won't hole anything. Where you are you have clay and loam and it holds everything. Therefore check your county agent He knows your soil better than anyone.

You problely only have to apply it 2 or 3 times a year. The 6 times a year that I put down would be to much for your area

Hey you can do it with a back pack Gallon/M water to 4-8oz Fe.

LOL