1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lawn Striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&J Customs, Mar 8, 2008.

1. J&J Customs

J&J Customs LawnSite Member

Since Im in the custom lawn business i get several requests on striping and i never have been able to achieve that perfect stripe has anyone tried any striping devices on walk behinds if so what brands where do i get it and how much?
  2. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

try a small rubber strip that isn't very flexible. mount to the back of the mower deck.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Try doing a search for stripes, striping, stripe kit, homemade striper, chain striper, roller striper, mud flap striper..............
  4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

This type of thread has been gone over a million times on here. Let me give you the cliff notes. Striping is about the way YOU operate the mover...not some attachment the miraculously stipes the lawn. Sure golf green's and fairway's are different, but your on a homeowners lawn without a $4000 loch reel mower. Cut in almost the exact same stripes every week and the grass will grow in that direction causing stripes. Having said that, move your tire tracks over 6 inches every week to avoid ruts. If it starts looking a bit shaggy, throw in an alternate direction once in a while to clean it up. If your smart, you will just simply practice. If your like most of the people on here, you will restate the question in many different ways and debate endlessly for months on what the magic machine is. I,m not going to get into detail regarding cutting height and the many other factors involed in fine tuning stripes, but do yourself a favor and don't listen to the endless bs that is likely to follow in this thread.
  5. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Just put the broom part of a push broom on your mower and you will get great results, It will comb the lawn.
  6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I brand mower do you have? Some companies will offer striping kits for their mowers.